Ich treatment advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently posted about a possible ich problem. I have come to the conclusion that it is ich and I started treatment today and need your advice. Today I bought a second heater and have the temperature at 80 degrees where I will raise it a little more tonight. My goal for the temperature is 85 degrees hoping it won't kill my guppies, rams, neon tetras, dwarf gouramis, clown pleco, shrimp, and snails. I did a 25% water change. I can't add salt as it will kill my snails, shrimp, and plants. SO, what I did instead was I had my LFS fill a bag of water and put aquarium salt in it to where it reads as saltwater. The gold ram where I see has ich on the fins, I put in the saltwater for 30 seconds but I think it went terribly wrong. The fish squirmed and flipped upside down and I was able to pick her seemingly lifeless body up with my hand and I put her back in the tank where she was upside down and lifeless for 5 seconds. She is fine now I think but it really scared me. I was told I need to do this tomorrow too. Am I doing everything right?

If your fish is that stressed out from a salt bath I don't think I would repeat that since you are more likely to kill it from the stress then the ich.

I just had an ich outbreak in my tank and what worked for me was raising the temperature between 86 and 87 degrees (ich can't reproduce at temperatures above 86 degrees unless you are unlucky and happen to have the resiliant strain). Anyhow up your temperature to that, change the water and gravel vacume your tank every day to every two days. 3 days after all the white spots disappear lower your temperature back down to normal.

Good luck!

Is vacuuming nessesary? I ask because I have plants so I can't. I bought I second heater and I have it at 84 currently since I have been slowly raising the temperature. I hope to have it at 86 by tomorrow. How long did it take yours to die?

I am not sure if the vacuuming is critical or not. I know that when the white spots begin to fall off the fish they fall to the substrate so the idea behind the vacuuming is that you are in effect removing some of the ich. However, since it can't reproduce above 86 degrees and will hence die I would assume you could get away with not?

In my tank it took 10 days from the time I first noticed the spots until they were no longer visable (but then I waited 3 more days so I guess that is more like 13 total depending on your perspective).

Okay I will keep raising the heat. I just hope the heat doesn't kill any of my fish, shrimp, or snails. Fingers crossed!

None of the species in your tank should have a problem with 82-86 degree water. The ich definitely will have a problem though. Make sure you maintain that temp for a week or so after you no longer see ich spots to be sure you have killed the parasites.

Back
Top Bottom