ICH? What should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmathis

Aquarium Advice Regular
**SORRY FOR POSTING IN THE WRONG FORUM, I GUESS I WAS JUST IN A HURRY**

Boy, I am having bad luck lately!

I got 5 more neon tetras to go with my school 2 days ago, and 2 were dead when I got home. I figured the kid just hit them with the net or something. Now one has white spots I guess are ich. (Pic below) I have never had ICH before. So, I have to assume it came on the new neons.

Should I remove him from the tank now and treat him in a hostpital tank? or just go ahead and treat my whole tank? or should I just get out the infected ones and take them back to the LFS?

I have read of treating ICH by raising the water temp and using aquarium salt. is this the best way?

Thanks.

Tank:
75 Gallon Tank
PH 7
KH 4
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 30ppm

Fish:
2 blue rams
1 gold ram
1 clown loach
2 botia striatas
4 gold dojos
4 corys
13 neon tetras

img_952348_0_786d277dd7523a568896b64f26a09094.jpg

img_952348_1_9937ee78a4f94a40d12f731ae1c123ca.jpg

Last edited:
Treat ich with the heat method. Raise the heat slowly in your tank to 87-88F. Add extra aeration or lower the water level a bit in the tank to increase splash. Keep the heat up for 2 weeks after the last spot of ich is gone. Doing water changes is also good, just make sure to match the water temp when adding new water.

If you just put them in the tank you may not be too late to take them out and return them to the store. It takes a couple of days for the Ich to mature and leave the infected fish.
I bought some mollies from petco a while back, one was dead the next morning and I noticed the Ich the next day. The fish where in my aquarium for 2 days, I returned them to the store and never did get an outbreak in my tank.
Caution though, if you return them to the store they will likely be euthenized.
If you decide to treat them it probably is best to just treat the whole tank.

Thanks!

The spots went away, and I have not seen any more on anything. that fish didn't even die, he's still fine 4 days later.

I did turn up the temp just to be safe though.

Thanks again!

Keep treating though, I had an outbreak and thought things were over so I lowered the temp back down and all that, 5 days later more ich.

Back
Top Bottom