Ich will not go away.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chompsticks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there guys, I am wondering if anyone has had problems with resistant ich. I have had three clown barbs that have had ich for about 6 weeks now. They were in my main 46 gallon tank with about 20 other fish. I removed them and put them in my quarantine tank after about 2 weeks of treatment in the main tank because they were the only three fish that would not get better. All of my other fish never really had ich or they got better. I have treated with 3 different methods so far. I had the tank up to 88 degrees with salt and aeration and that did not do anything. Then I treated with a formalin/malachite formula, and I have also tried coppersafe and paraguard. I do not have any problems with the main tank anymore just the quarantine tank. I am not sure what else to do. two of them have gotten really ill looking now. Anyone have any other ideas? I def got the ich from the LFS probably from some plants.

Well salt will kill the plants, plants arent an ICH host but do come in as hitchhikers pending it was a recent infestation.

in the QT tank if its plain, run 88 degrees with 1tbsp salt per 10g, do this for TWO WEEKS after you see the ICH disappear.

Ive never had ICH, all my newbies get QT'd for two weeks first, plants get a 1hour alum bath.

Are you sure that it is ich? Any one of those treatment methods should have worked if done correctly. The heat alone should have killed it.

As blueiz said, are you sure it's ich? Reason I ask is because I've run across a few things in our own tanks when treating for ich. The fish start with ich, I treat, it goes away only to "return". What actually comes "back" is the cyst looking things. They are bunched together in places.

Does your problem look like this? If so, it's not ich.

Attachments

• ram02.jpg
    ram02.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 507
As blueiz said, are you sure it's ich? Reason I ask is because I've run across a few things in our own tanks when treating for ich. The fish start with ich, I treat, it goes away only to "return". What actually comes "back" is the cyst looking things. They are bunched together in places.

Does your problem look like this? If so, it's not ich.

What is that?

Agree with Blueiz.
Are you sure they don't have a secondary infection/ fungus/ parasite?
Properly done the treatments you described should have taken care of the ick issue.
This is a good link to most diseases.
Diseases in the Aqurium - Part I

PS dragonfish that doesn't look good.

It def looks like ich to me, but a much more severe form or something. They have white spots on them, but they are larger than sand grained and no clumped together. The fish have also lost their colors and look really slimy, and their scales looks like they are protruding out a little. Does that sound like typical ich?

Back
Top Bottom