Ichy Ich...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akkitten

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10g with 4 cherry barbs and 2 female guppy. I just noticed one of the guppies has white spots and is lethargic. I ran to the local pet store and got sme API ich treatment (it was all they had). I dosed appropriately, removed the filter, turned off the under gravel filter and am slowly raising the temp of the tank (76 up to 80). Is there anything else I can do? It is so sad watching the healthy guppy hang by the sick one I will feel so bad if she dies.

What I did when my black molly had ick was add some sea salt to the tank. It helpss get rif of it as well. The bad part about that is if you have fish that do not like salk like sucker fish or snails. Good luck and I hope your fish make it!!!

I would turn the HOB filter back on, but take out the the carbon cartridge and replace with filter pading or filter floss.

Just keep dosing with the meds until you see some good results, Good luck!

Thanks, I have to run to a LFS tomorrow so I will pick some up then. I think it will be ok to leave it off for tonight (hoping anyway). Thanks for the feedback!!!

Oh, I meant to ask, I seem to see mixed reviews on adding salt to the tank. Should I or shouldn't I?

Nice to know aquariums are no different than anything else in life. Nobody can agree on anything. ;)

Since your are already medicating with the API ich treatment , I wouldnt bother, Both are different methods ;)

I have a 10g with 4 cherry barbs and 2 female guppy. I just noticed one of the guppies has white spots and is lethargic. I ran to the local pet store and got sme API ich treatment (it was all they had). I dosed appropriately, removed the filter, turned off the under gravel filter and am slowly raising the temp of the tank (76 up to 80).

Hello akkitten;
I'm not familiar with the use of the API ich treatment so consult the instructions before making any changes I recommend. Having said that, I recommend that you slowly raise the temp of your tank even more - to 86 degrees at least. This will hasten the life cycle of the ich in your tank and allow the medicine to kill off the infestation when the ich is actually vulnerable. There are stages in ich's life cycle where the meds won't work (they are incased in a "shell" that doesn't allow the meds to reach them). Raising the temp will cause them to enter the vulnerable stage sooner. This is the best way, in my opinion, to ensure that your tank is completely ich free. The treatment I use (Kordon Ich Attack) says right on the bottle to raise the temp to 86.

Last edited:
Yes after talking to somone on here I have actually stopped using the API ich treatment, added 2 tsp salt to the tank and the temp is up to 86. I'm afraid the guppies may not make it and the cherry barbs are not very happy with me. Too many fishies have died already as a restult of my learning curve. :(

Hello akkitten;
I'm not familiar with the use of the API ich treatment so consult the instructions before making any changes I recommend. Having said that, I recommend that you slowly raise the temp of your tank even more - to 86 degrees at least. This will hasten the life cycle of the ich in your tank and allow the medicine to kill of the infestation when the ich is actually vulnerable. There are stages in ich's life cycle where the meds won't work (they are incased in a "shell" that doesn't allow the meds to reach them). Raising the temp will cause them to enter the vulnerable stage sooner. This is the best way, in my opinion, to ensure that your tank is completely ich free. The treatment I use (Kordon Ich Attack) says right on the bottle to raise the temp to 86.

Ohneil has given you good directions since the meds are there use them.
Raise the temp so the ich can runs it's cycle. Watch the fish closely, after you see the last spot continue treatment until 3 days after the last spot was seen. discontinue Replace carbon back into your filters to remove meds. Lower your temperature slowly to it's original spot. It works really well. Stick with one treatment and follow thru with it. Good luck you will get through it.

Back
Top Bottom