Ick!!??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K2theA

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is the first time getting ick, I attribute it to the other day my heater failed on in the evening and didn't get replaced until the morning my temp dropped maybe could have kicked started it, so I did a 60% water change yesterday and added API stress coat+, with aquarium salt 1 tbs for every 5 gall, and raised the temp to 88, but my questions are how often should I change the water?, and I should remove the gravel and soak in hot water? I removed all plants and decor. I have a 25 gal freshwater setup with four jack Dempseys under 1', also removed the carbon filters in my aqua-tech 30-60 filter. If I do get some Ick meds like Ick guard should I add that with the saltwater as well I don't want to stress the Lil guys out any advice would be appreciated.

If you keep the temp at 86* for at least 10 days, the ich should go away. If you are not 100% sure it's ich, and the spots get bigger with the warmer water, you might be dealing with fungus instead.

This is the first time getting ick, I attribute it to the other day my heater failed on in the evening and didn't get replaced until the morning my temp dropped maybe could have kicked started it, so I did a 60% water change yesterday and added API stress coat+, with aquarium salt 1 tbs for every 5 gall, and raised the temp to 88, but my questions are how often should I change the water?, and I should remove the gravel and soak in hot water? I removed all plants and decor. I have a 25 gal freshwater setup with four jack Dempseys under 1', also removed the carbon filters in my aqua-tech 30-60 filter. If I do get some Ick meds like Ick guard should I add that with the saltwater as well I don't want to stress the Lil guys out any advice would be appreciated.

Removing the plants and decor just added to their stress. I would return everything back to the tank, vacuum and do pwc's every couple of days, IMO you can stop adding salt. You do not need to remove and boil the gravel. Just make sure you lower your water level a little so the return from your filter will splash, and make sure you have an air stone while the temp is so high. If it is ich, you won't need to medicate. Just wait it out, in about 2 weeks everything will be fine:).

If you keep the temp at 86* for at least 10 days, the ich should go away. If you are not 100% sure it's ich, and the spots get bigger with the warmer water, you might be dealing with fungus instead.
+1...excellent advice(y)

Thanks to all they are looking better no more visible white spots they looking good will keep up the temp and water changes thanks to everyone

Back
Top Bottom