Ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tracephjosey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. Can anyone give me advice please. Over the last 2/3 days I noticed my fish were no longer swimming about but just lying at the bottom of the tank so I took a sample of water to pets at home to test. They said all was fine, nitrates up a bit at 20 everything else perfect. I have 2 black moors and 1 oranda. I added 3 small plecs and a Hong Kong plec about 1-2 weeks ago and as I'm new to this did not know about quarantine :-( within an hour my Hong Kong plec had died. The rest of the fish were fine! I've been doing 30% water changes and a good clean up of gravel. On my water change today I noticed the fish were all lethargic. My fish have all got tiny white dots on them and find look like they are bleeding. I've googled and think it must be ick? How can I save them before they all die? My tank is 200 litresImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399682985.123093.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399683047.959505.jpg

Update - they all died one after the other. The last Blackmoor died last night. I was treating them for fin rot and bacteria infection but it was just too late for them. So I need to start all over again. Pets at Home have agreed they gave me diseased fish as they had to treat their tank in the shop. I am getting my money back on all treatment and stock but I don't know what to do. Should I completely change my tank water, clean out everything and then put new water in and wait 4 weeks? Any advice appreciated. I'm so sad for my wee fish and my sons are upset

Update - they all died one after the other. The last Blackmoor died last night. I was treating them for fin rot and bacteria infection but it was just too late for them. So I need to start all over again. Pets at Home have agreed they gave me diseased fish as they had to treat their tank in the shop. I am getting my money back on all treatment and stock but I don't know what to do. Should I completely change my tank water, clean out everything and then put new water in and wait 4 weeks? Any advice appreciated. I'm so sad for my wee fish and my sons are upset

Aww that's terrible.. Just glad pets at home are responsible and treating their tanks too.. Im dealing with ich now and i think the only way to clear it is to heat the tank to 86 and do pwc and vac the gravel.. For 2 weeks .. I would say this way your tank and filter should be ok without having to start a cycle again.. Im no expert this is just what i found out on here and Google :)

Again sorry for your loss :(

Obviously you can't raise to that temp with goldfish in there .. I think its a salt treatment for cold water fish.. But as you have no fish Im sure its ok to heat it up

Yes. If it were me, I would start all over. New substrate, or if gravel pour scolding hot water on it in a bucket. New plants. Also, look into a quarantine tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom