Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-26-2021, 05:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Shealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 14
Ick!!

Hi there,
Iím asking advice again! Sorry....
Long story short, I recently got ick in my tank, didnít get what I needed to treat it in time, tried treating it but still lost everybody. So I did a big water change, put a new carbon filter back in my tank and bought one new fish. Heís has been looking great since I got him but today Iím noticing a few white spots on his fins... afraid itís ick again. Iím just about to treat it but I wanted to check first.... my filter has a bio wheel and of course the brand new filter I just put in. When I treated last time I did not take out the bio wheel. Should I have? And should I this time? Should I just cut the carbon out of this new filter or put a temporary carbonless filter in like I did last time? Will I completely mess up my tank if I put a brand new filter in again after Iíve treated? Donít know what to do, but need help asap. 🤷🏻*♀️🤦🏻*♀️
Thanks
__________________

__________________
Shealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Shealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 14
Also, I donít have an adjustable heater.
I have a five gallon tank.
If I do a water change right now before I medicate will it help or will it stress him too much?
__________________

__________________
Shealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Shealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 14
Ok update:
I didnít want to risk waiting any longer to treat (my terrible mistake last time), so I did a wc, raised the water temp a little with the new water, checked my water parameters which look good, put in a temporary non carbon filter, and treated the ick. Now I wait for 48 hrs before treating again. Thanks for any advice you can give.
__________________
Shealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
m.j.gomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Farmington, n.m.
Posts: 208
Hello, you didn't mention what type of fish you have. What type of meds your using. So far it sounds like you got a handle on it except for your heat. It will stress a fish more if your heat isn't steady so I wouldn't add warmer water than what you preset heater is doing right know. Hopefully this helps you!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shealot View Post
Ok update:
I didnít want to risk waiting any longer to treat (my terrible mistake last time), so I did a wc, raised the water temp a little with the new water, checked my water parameters which look good, put in a temporary non carbon filter, and treated the ick. Now I wait for 48 hrs before treating again. Thanks for any advice you can give.
__________________
m.j.gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 10
Please help!!!!

Hello, first of all Iím new to forums so not sure if Iím writing this In the right place. I need some help urgently, my fish is acting so strange, not eating, has a sunken belly and has some white flakey stuff on his top fin and all his fins look pretty frail and torn. Can someone please help to identify what disease he has. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	88DD3C01-3658-4EB6-BA3A-2C7D24629CEE.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	320638   Click image for larger version

Name:	311F3218-41CF-489D-954A-D3895B5F8265.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	320639  

Click image for larger version

Name:	166BC8D7-CDDA-406C-A279-BB71D9DAF983.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	320640   Click image for larger version

Name:	8A3A118E-7033-49FC-82BF-7FA83CC72CA5.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	320641  

__________________
Jimjamjamejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Shealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.j.gomez View Post
Hello, you didn't mention what type of fish you have. What type of meds your using. So far it sounds like you got a handle on it except for your heat. It will stress a fish more if your heat isn't steady so I wouldn't add warmer water than what you preset heater is doing right know. Hopefully this helps you!!!!!!


Thank you! I have API Super Ick Cure. I have 1 neon blue dwarf gourami. And a little snail. I just ordered a marineland adjustable heater.... just hoping it gets here as soon as possible!

Also I have some random white dots on my thermometer and driftwood, any ideas what those are? Iíll attach a pic...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4043.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	320646Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4043.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	320646Attachment 1Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4043.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	320646
__________________
Shealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Shealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 14
I have no idea what that other photo is in there or why this posted three of the same photos. Sorry about that.
__________________
Shealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
m.j.gomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Farmington, n.m.
Posts: 208
Sorry for delay in middle of changing water on several leg tanks.The heater is a good idea. You see ich can only be killed in free swimming stage not when it's on the fish or when it gets to substrate. Heat speeds up the life cycle of ich so you can get rid of faster. As for the white dots on wood they look like nirite snail eggs. Is that the type of snail you have? If so it's a female.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shealot View Post
Thank you! I have API Super Ick Cure. I have 1 neon blue dwarf gourami. And a little snail. I just ordered a marineland adjustable heater.... just hoping it gets here as soon as possible!

Also I have some random white dots on my thermometer and driftwood, any ideas what those are? Iíll attach a pic...Attachment 320646Attachment 320646Attachment 1Attachment 320646
__________________
m.j.gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Shealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 14
Yeah the snail is a nerite! Thank you!
And do you recommend vacuuming the gravel between medication doses?
__________________
Shealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
m.j.gomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Farmington, n.m.
Posts: 208
Yeah, I would. You want to get any dead or dieing parasite. But be careful if your tank is not well established you may be taking out good bacteria too so do it lightly & not a deep clean. You don't want to cause an ammonia spike. Another thing I do is continue treatment for 7days after all signs of parasite & flashing stopped. Sometimes ich will hide in gills & if treatment is stopped to soon it will cause a reoccurrence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shealot View Post
Yeah the snail is a nerite! Thank you!
And do you recommend vacuuming the gravel between medication doses?
__________________
m.j.gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:46 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dreamroper's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Peyton, CO
Posts: 609
Does a UV filter help with this kind of thing?
__________________
Dreamroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
m.j.gomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Farmington, n.m.
Posts: 208
A uv will help but it won't kill all the parasites just whatever passes threw it & you want to get rid as soon as possible so treating all water w/meds is best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamroper View Post
Does a UV filter help with this kind of thing?
__________________
m.j.gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dreamroper's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Peyton, CO
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.j.gomez View Post
A uv will help but it won't kill all the parasites just whatever passes threw it & you want to get rid as soon as possible so treating all water w/meds is best.
Thanks. I have been fortunate enough to never have any disease in my tank, but had a minor algae bloom from over cleaning filter media and I had read that the UV also helps with diseases.
__________________
Dreamroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Shealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 14
So, I did a second round of ick treatment and Iím about to do a 25% wc. Today is a week since I started the first treatment. The fish has gotten better in some regards. He still has a little white stuff on him and he still doesnít seem like his normal happy self. Possibly thatís because 1. he still doesnít feel good, or 2. heís the only fish in the tank. Iím wanting to get a buddy for him but I want to get the ick taken care of first. Should I do a wc and treat once more or should I stop treatment and put a new carbon filter in. If he still has a little white stuff on his side then can he get reinfected? Should I stop medicating, keep the temp higher and start doing pwc every day for awhile until heís back to normal?

I did get an adjustable heater, btw and am keeping the water temp at about 82. The fish is a neon blue dwarf gourami in a 5 gal tank.
__________________
Shealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
m.j.gomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Farmington, n.m.
Posts: 208
It should be clear by now. Are you sure it's ich? Can you get a close pic of fish to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shealot View Post
So, I did a second round of ick treatment and Iím about to do a 25% wc. Today is a week since I started the first treatment. The fish has gotten better in some regards. He still has a little white stuff on him and he still doesnít seem like his normal happy self. Possibly thatís because 1. he still doesnít feel good, or 2. heís the only fish in the tank. Iím wanting to get a buddy for him but I want to get the ick taken care of first. Should I do a wc and treat once more or should I stop treatment and put a new carbon filter in. If he still has a little white stuff on his side then can he get reinfected? Should I stop medicating, keep the temp higher and start doing pwc every day for awhile until heís back to normal?

I did get an adjustable heater, btw and am keeping the water temp at about 82. The fish is a neon blue dwarf gourami in a 5 gal tank.
__________________
m.j.gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:45 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Shealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 14
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4122.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	320746Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4119.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	320747Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4111.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	320748
__________________
Shealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 15,373
Stress can cause reduced ability for the fish to fend off IcH.

Water changes with temperature matched water. Having enough room for fish to be comfortable and not cramped, keeping groups of fish which need friends, good ratio of male to female fish. Fish wich need the same / similar water temperature and parameters.

Keeping up maintenance, having a cycled tank/ filter. Not over feeding, but feeding good quality food appropriate for the fish needs.

Here are a couple articles.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/ich-i...e-you-call-it/

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/freshwater-ich-yuck/
__________________
FW & SW
Favorite tank right now - 12G Edge nano fish

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:10 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
m.j.gomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Farmington, n.m.
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shealot View Post
Ok, think I see it & does look like ich. I would do another round of meds.
When treating ich I use salt & heat this usually takes about 4-6days for ich to disappear & another 7days after that to make sure it's eradicated. 2wks for treatment. I've never used store meds so they may take longer. You might consider using salt method if its stays persistent. You'd have to remove snail since it doesn't tolerate salt.
__________________
m.j.gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:14 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Shealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 14
Hmmm, does a snail need a filtration system and heater?
__________________
Shealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:33 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
m.j.gomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Farmington, n.m.
Posts: 208
It depends on what site you go to some say 65į-85į, 70-80 & 72-82. I've kept them in fish bowls w/air that stayed room temp w/no problems simply changed 25% water every 2-3days & fed flakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shealot View Post
Hmmm, does a snail need a filtration system and heater?
__________________

__________________
m.j.gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To ick or not to ick? bkiggy Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 2 10-19-2012 11:50 AM
ICH ICK and more ICK DJLiquid Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 9 11-10-2008 09:04 PM
Dont have Ick, Dont want Ick alarmguy66 Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 1 12-20-2003 10:30 PM
ICK!!!!!!!!!!!!MORE ICK!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm desperate here!!!! ADCISCO Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 14 11-16-2003 01:56 PM
Rid ick (+) or nox ick? jhd Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 1 10-26-2003 11:41 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.