Ick and Fin Rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrcoolt

Aquarium Advice Regular
May sound silly, but can both occur simultaneously? I thinks that happening to my BN pleco. His fins are rotting away and has white spots. Pretty lethargic. Also, my gold tetras have red on their tails. They don't look normal. I am still cycling my tank, but I wanted to do it without losing any fish. Suggestions?

jrcoolt said:
May sound silly, but can both occur simultaneously? I thinks that happening to my BN pleco. His fins are rotting away and has white spots. Pretty lethargic. Also, my gold tetras have red on their tails. They don't look normal. I am still cycling my tank, but I wanted to do it without losing any fish. Suggestions?

I would say its possible. When was your last water change? How big? Are you testing daily with a liquid water test kit? What are your current test results? Are they white spots or specks like dust or sugar? Can you possibly get a pic? How big is your tank & what is the temp? I'm asking a lot of questions to help determine if it is what you think & the best course of action.

So its a 29 gallon. I do daily water changes of 25%-50%. I am using the API Master kit. Today my ammonia was at .25 as well as my nitrites. It looks like spilt. They weren't there yesterday. I did NY best on pictures.

ForumRunner_20120824_192751.jpg

ForumRunner_20120824_192800.jpg

It's hard to tell from the pics. Fin rot usually has black edges & Ich looks like the fish has been dusted with sugar. You seem to be keeping the water clean so I'm a little at a loss about it. If its Ich most on here advise raising the temp to about 86 over a 24 hr period, doing water changes & vacuuming. Keep doing that for at least week after the last spot is seen. Did you say he has tank mates? Are the others showing the same signs? Could there be aggression from another fish? Hopefully someone else will chime in on this.

I haven't seen the same signs on the other fish. They are just gold tetras and do not seem to be showing any aggression. I have noticed, since increasing the temp, the whole tank seems more lively. Is 78 maybe not warm enough and was causing stress?

Back
Top Bottom