Ick and now foggy eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanlr88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Been treating for Ick for four or five days now and my jewel Cichlid's eyes are now foggy. Is this related? A common side effect? Separate disease?

Ryanlr88 said:
Been treating for Ick for four or five days now and my jewel Cichlid's eyes are now foggy. Is this related? A common side effect? Separate disease?

What are you using to treat?
What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH if the tank?
How often do you change water and how much?
What size tank?
Is it milky white or white specks/flakes in the eye?
Both eyes or just one?

Mumma.of.two said:
What are you using to treat?
What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH if the tank?
How often do you change water and how much?
What size tank?
Is it milky white or white specks/flakes in the eye?
Both eyes or just one?
Using quickcure. Haven't tested the levels, but I've been treating for about a week and have now done two 60-75% water changes, maybe every three days about. It's more of a milky wire in both eyes. Right now there hasn't been any spits for about 4-5 days but they are still rubbing up on stuff so I think they may be infected still. I have had the carbon removed and I'm considering putting the new carbon bag in the filter bc I think it may be bc bad water quality, the I would just try and treat with just heat above 86 degrees. What do you think?

If its both eyes it's cloudy eye. Keep the water as clean as possible. Do you have a QT? If it doesn't clear in its own IMO it would be a good idea to move the fish so you can treat it with mediation without dosing the whole tank.
Cloudy Eye
Pathogen/Cause: Various organisms (nonspecific), Severe Stress, Malnutrition, Cataracts, Old Age, Hyperproduction of slime due to poisoning, bad water quality, or irritation.
Physical Signs: A cloudy white or grey "haze" over the eyes that may cause blindness.
Behavioral Signs: Associated with loss of vision, also just general signs of lethargy.
Potential Treatment: Investigate if water quality is high first (water changes), then if nutritional needs of that species are being met. Wait at least a week or two before trying any antibiotics, it will often clear on its own if water quality is high.
Other Notes: Frequent water changes a must to improve quality. Test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. Cloudy eye is a sign of a number of things, rather than a disease in its own right.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#ERM

Back
Top Bottom