Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2006, 11:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
Ick, how do you treat.......

....this disease when you have a tankful of sensitive fish? I'm very early as only a couple of fish have two or three spots. Usually, I just let it be until they REALLY break out. Most healthy fish can fight it off.

If I do need to treat though, what could I use? I have some tetras (rummynose & cardinal), so Quick Cure is out, and I don't think my angelfish, my tetras, or my plants would appreciate salt. I can raise the temp, but would this be enough? I don't want to cook the angels, tetras, or the platies. Please advise how to treat tetras with ick? (Not one single spot on any of the angels...only one or two of the platies have one or two spots and the tetras have a couple of spots each.....I'm WAY early)

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I think you best of course of action is to raise the temperature. The fish you listed will be fine with the higher temperatures. Heat alone does treat ich, I have done it successfully several times.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

How hot do I need to get it and for how long? I know to do it over the course of several hours so the fish can adjust, but what temp is my target and for how long do I leave it at that temp?

Thanks rich!!!

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

Old 06-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
87F or slightly higher. Go slow 1 degree every two hours or so. Leave the temperature up for two weeks after the last signs of ich are gone. You will need to increase you O2 levels by adding an airstone or lowering you water level if you have an HOB. Warm water holds less O2.

Rich
Old 06-26-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay. I have an HOB and a cannister filter, so I will drop the water a little. I also have an airpump I'm not using ATM, and one of those bubble rings. I'l;l install that as well. Thanks.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, it looks like I do have an ick outbreak going and I think the two rummynose tetras started it. I've boosted the temp to 86 so far. Do I need to go higher? How long do I leaave it this high? Boy, it worries me....it feels so hot! The tank glass is warm to the touch. I was SO tempted to add some Quick Cure, but I know it would probably kill my last two rummies on contact, and my son loves those fish

Is keeping the tank at this high temprature okay for the lenght of time it takes to kill ick? I'm worried. I'm using an air pump to increase surface agitation......I hope my plants don't melt......what a pain.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I usually shoot for 87 or 88 to be safe. General consensus is to leave it that high until two weeks after the last spot is gone, but I usaully cut it off after a week and have not had recurrances. Can you use a thermometer from another tank to double check your temp?
Old 06-30-2006, 11:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I have two other tanks with thermometers that wouldn't collapse in a heap if I took them out and placed them in this tank. Is this just to double check the accuracy? My fish don't look like they're cooking so far. I'm watching them so close right now. Only the rummies, one platy and one angel have any spots at all, the rest of the fish are clear, so hopefully I caught it early.

I'll see if I can kick it up c ouple more degrees at noon.

Old 06-30-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

use the heat treatment i used ick clear i got at petco and i lost 3 neons and 1 guppie.heat treatment would be best
Old 06-30-2006, 05:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, I'm aware of the pitfalls of treating ick in different manners. I've used Quick Cure and killed fish, I've used aquarium salt and killed fish, but this will be first stab at using heat alone. So far, I've managed to bump the temp to 88 (according to two different in tank thermometers) and the fish all still look okay (tolerating the heat) So far, so good. Only a couple of spots on a couple of fish so hopefully the heat will be really effective at killing it. *X keeping fingers crossed X*

Old 06-30-2006, 05:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Crazyred - 88 will do it You need to leave the tank temps up there until two weeks AFTER you see the last white spot. The fish can handle it - sometimes I wonder if they think they're at the spa !
Old 06-30-2006, 07:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Will do. The fish look good. Only a few spots left, so this may be over sooner rather than later. I hope.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep - you'll see the spots gone fairly quickly just leave it up there for an additional 2 wks after the last spot is gone to protect against a recurrance.
I've noticed all flashing goes away within a day, the spots tend to last a little longer (3 or 4 days). Heat treatment really is amazing if you ask me !
Old 07-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree. This fish are all doing great and the spots are now gone....just going to leave it up for the two weeks now to kill anything that's left. I have had terrible luck with other treatments.....from now on, I'm going to recommend heat treatment when fish list permits....obviously, some fish would suffer under the heat, but not most tropicals.

Old 07-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have fish that are scratching, but I think it is the kind that is in the gills, because I don't see any spots at all. My angelicus botia loach is scratching a lot, but still eating very well. I've read it is calld flashing I think.

I've noticed the barbs scratching a little. I have temp up. How soon before he stops scratching?????
Old 07-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to imrandome1
Quote:
I have fish that are scratching, but I think it is the kind that is in the gills, because I don't see any spots at all.
i have the same problem but when i had the temp up and left it for a month, it did nothing it still scratching, i look forward to a reply for lovemybarbs Q.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sometimes ich affects the gills first, so you may not actually see the spots. When my platy was scratching with this second battle with ich I raised the temp to 88 and the scratching was gone in a day. A white spot actually appeared on his tail the second day but was gone by the end of the day.

Tags
eat, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com