Ick in Baby Mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsdbdca

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How do you treat baby mollies for ick. I have up the temp and added salt. But all the meds you buy say not to use on Baby fry.

How high have you put the temp to, it needs to be above 86 degrees, and remember that the higher the temp the lower the oxygen. you want to raise the temp slowly over a couple of day so that the fish can adjust.

Good luck.

Hiya and welcome to AquariumAdvice jsdbdca :)

Aww...those poor babies.

Terry is absolutely correct; high temps above 86f are usually successful in treating for ich. Ich apparently cannot survive in temps over 86f, but will multiply rapidly in temps just under it; if you don't have the temps that high the ich parasites may be having a party on your poor fry. I am not sure if molly fry can handle the high temps needed to deal with ich; you may want to look that up. I used this route and upped the temps from 82f to 88f in 2 days (every 12 hours I raised it) but I knew my fish could handle the high temps. Kept it there for 2 weeks.

Salt is another route to treat for ich. A level of 2-3ppm higher then what you normally keep the tank at is needed; best to get a hydrometer to check the salt levels as they are now as well as because each container of salt has a different chloride level. Seatest makes one that can measure levels that low. Since mollies can live in true salt water, this may be a better route and safer for the babies. You'll also need to keep the salt levels that high for a couple of weeks to be sure you've eradicated the parasites.

I don't think there would be a problem temperature wise, mollies can go to about 83-85 degress. As long as you took it slowly i think the molly babys will be alright with 3-4 degrees extra.
Allivymar was spot on as usual, mollies are a brackish water fish so maybe it might be better to talk the salt route, but this will have to be done slowly as well as the babys were born in the water you have now. So they would be used to that, increase the salt slowly to give them time to adapt. The same as you would by increasing the temp.

Excellent; thanx for clearing that up Terry :) I'll add that tidbit of info to my already full brain LOL

Thanks for all your help. I did raise the temp to about 87, slowly, and the babies seem to be flurishing. Also i have been doing salt treatments again seems to be no problems. I have noticed that the spots have came off, so now it is just a wait and see situtation.

I have close to a hundred, from four different mom's ranging from age of 11 days to 4 days. all seem to do pretty well. I have people say that most mollies don't live and that i will have a lot die off. I haven't yet is that something to expect. Most that i have heard, lost babies in a few days. I haven't lost any, except the ones that were still born. Just curious. I hope to keep as many babies as possible because have had no luck with the parents. Out of the four moms that i had, only one survived child birth.

By the way to help with the oxygen, i have a whisper filter running at one end and two air bubble stones at the other. hopefully that will be enough.

Does the high temps and salt hurt a pleco. Or would one be fine.

The pleco should be fine, as for the babys they should be fine to, as long as you are careful with the feeding. The reason a lot of people don't have much success with babies is the fact that they overfeed and pollute the water.

Good luck with your baby rearing and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom