Ick issue in 180g Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franchise34

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Community.

I have a 180g Cichlid tank that I recently added some clown loaches. The loaches have developed ick in the last week and I am trying to figure out the best way to handle it.

Normally I set up a 10g and use it as a hospital tank. But my issue is that with the size of the main tank and the speed of the loaches, I am having no luck catching them. I caught one and treated the 10g with API ick medicine but the loach died pretty fast.

I worry about using the meds as I find that even though I follow the instructions it is very powerful.

So my question is how can I treat them effectively in my main tank. I have been putting a mild amount of the meds in and I turned up the heat to 86 (which will take some time due to the tank size) This is the first time in 3 years I have had any issues with this tank. The cichlids seem to not have contracted the parasite.

Dont have much experience with ick but I do know you shouldn’t bother with a hospital tank. Ick parasites are already in the tank and so the whole tank needs to be treated.

Tough with such a big tank, I’m sure but that’s the reality with ick.

Back
Top Bottom