Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2004, 05:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AlonelyCody Send a message via Yahoo to AlonelyCody
Ick on Black finned Shark!?!?!?

I moved to a bigger tank a few days ago (55 gal) I noticed today that my black finned shark possibly has ick. I read some where that you can up the temp to help destroy the ick. Can you do this with Black Finned Sharks? I think the temp to set it at was 80¬ļ. I don't want to use the ick medication fully because with him being a scaleless fish it will affect him and possibly make things worse. I am going to quaratine him and raise the temp if I can get some feedback on this. I am also going to treat him in the quaratine tank with only 1/2 the medication treatment recommendation.

55 gallon - Live plants, gravel:
3 Bala Sharks, 4 Tiger Barbs, 3 Long Finned Rosy Barbs, 1 Tire Track Eel, 1 Black Ghost Knife, 1 Gold Gourami, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Pecock Eel ,1 Chinese Algae Eater.

45 gallon - Live plants, sand.
6 Cichlids = 1 Pink Convict, 1 Electric Yellow Hap, 1 Kenyi, 1 MUTT, 1 Johanni Mbuna, 1 Jacobfreibergi Peacock, 1 Plecostomus.

1 gallon - SW - crushed coral, live rock. **
4 Dwarf Hermit Crabs, 2 Astraea Turbo Snail.
Hitchikers - 1 green shroom, 2 polyps, and one muscle.

4 Dwarf Hermit Crabs.
Hitchikers - 4 yellow polyps.

**10 gallon sump attached to both the 1 gallons.

10 gallon - FW sand, rock.
30ish Cichlid fry.

30 gallon - DOWN - Awating FW or SW
AlonelyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...21&pCatId=1177

Is that the fish you refer to when you say black fin shark?

Over the next five or so days, Up the temp of the tank to 88-90 degrees, If its the 55ga, two 150watt heaters spaced at seperate ends of the tank should accomplish this quite well.

Increase the temp only a degree or so every day, until 88-90 is reached.

Leave at the temp for 2 weeks, no meds or anything. Ich will be perminately erradicated from your tank, and will never appear again as long as you don't add a new source of ich.

As for your shark surviving, if its the shark in the link above, then yes it will survive. Mine survived two bouts and heattreatments

Old 02-16-2004, 05:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AlonelyCody Send a message via Yahoo to AlonelyCody
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...=21&pCatId=936
This is the black finned shark I am asking about. Columbia Shark sometimes referred to as the black finned shark. They are scaleless that's why Im trying to find an alternative to the ick medication.

55 gallon - Live plants, gravel:
3 Bala Sharks, 4 Tiger Barbs, 3 Long Finned Rosy Barbs, 1 Tire Track Eel, 1 Black Ghost Knife, 1 Gold Gourami, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Pecock Eel ,1 Chinese Algae Eater.

45 gallon - Live plants, sand.
6 Cichlids = 1 Pink Convict, 1 Electric Yellow Hap, 1 Kenyi, 1 MUTT, 1 Johanni Mbuna, 1 Jacobfreibergi Peacock, 1 Plecostomus.

4 Dwarf Hermit Crabs, 2 Astraea Turbo Snail.
Hitchikers - 1 green shroom, 2 polyps, and one muscle.

4 Dwarf Hermit Crabs.
Hitchikers - 4 yellow polyps.

**10 gallon sump attached to both the 1 gallons.

10 gallon - FW sand, rock.
30ish Cichlid fry.

30 gallon - DOWN - Awating FW or SW
AlonelyCody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com