ICK on discus??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamsAquarium

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tell me what you think. I believe I am getting ick on my discus. It looks like the beginning stages.

Their fins have white dots, not many dots but they are there. It started with 1 discus having 1 dot on his tail fin 2 weeks ago and now 3 discus have a couple dots on their fins.

Should I treat ICK right away? Wait and see if it gets worse?

Also, in a discus tank, should I use a specific product?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The guy in the middle has white spots on his left fin.

Attachments

• 1430090020394.jpg
    1430090020394.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 88
Don't know if you can see it in this picture but his tail fin has it as well

Attachments

• 1430090063511.jpg
    1430090063511.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 83
Specific product;
HEAT!
Over 86 should kill ich,under 90 should be fine for discus.
What temp are you keeping the discus at?

There's a good pic of his tail fin

Attachments

• 1430090189846.jpg
    1430090189846.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 78
I honestly don't see it. Since it's a discus tank, and it seems to be very very low level infection if at all: Crank the heater to 87. That's nothing for a discus but that temperature prevents most strains of ich from reproducing. Then just watch closely. If it's not ich, nothing will happen and you can turn the heater down in 10 days. If it's normal ich, it'll die and you'll be all set. If it's heat resistant ich, you'll have to change strategies- but at least you'll know it's heat resistant.

I honestly don't see it. Since it's a discus tank, and it seems to be very very low level infection if at all: Crank the heater to 87. That's nothing for a discus but that temperature prevents most strains of ich from reproducing. Then just watch closely. If it's not ich, nothing will happen and you can turn the heater down in 10 days. If it's normal ich, it'll die and you'll be all set. If it's heat resistant ich, you'll have to change strategies- but at least you'll know it's heat resistant.

You could either turn the heater down or keep it there since discus like that temperature anyways :)

But I agree 100% heat is the best way to treat it.

Really? I have the heater at 86 all the time. Should I go up a degree? Think that will make a difference?

Really? I have the heater at 86 all the time. Should I go up a degree? Think that will make a difference?

Yeah, 86 is the highest temperature that ich can reproduce successfully unless it's resistant. Maybe go up to 88 just to be safe. If it is resistant you're still way early in catching it so you'll still have time to treat it.

Thank you all for your advice. I'm up to 88 degrees and we'll see if we have any improvement throughout the week

I'm up to 88 in my discus tanks. Trying to get to 90!!! Discus love some heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Any word on progress? I just lost a small clown loach to ich. I put him in a separate tank and treated, I believe the half dose was still too hard on him. Now in my large tank I can see the spots in the discus. I've raised the temp to around 88.5 and added salt.

Back
Top Bottom