Ick - Treat the whole tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This morning I did a 50% water change, removed the hornwort and snails, then added a half dose of Ich X. I upped the air flow on the HOB and removed the filter fluff I had in the sponge to block some of the bubbles (because of the betta). Lots of bubbles and surface breaking now. Plus since I did the water change I have all of the bubbles created by adding all that water.

The betta is doing a bit of resting on things, but that could be because of so much current in the water. His gills also seemed a little flared out at first, but not now (45 minutes later).

2 of the corydoras are in hiding. The 3rd seems just fine. The pleco and tetras are behaving normally.

Be careful with the betta. That treatment could be too much for it. Just keep an eye on it and have something like a container or something you can float on the tank ready in case you gotta pull him. Some meds are too strong for betta's. A vase or something big enough to float with fresh water in it to have for emergency. Just a heads up. I have some betta's that can only handle half dose of salt. You don't wanta damage anything internal on them. They Are, almost half human. Lol!

Of all the fish, I'd be the saddest at losing the betta (George). He's doing a lot of resting still. He never showed any signs of white spots.

Update: I took the betta out and have him floating in the cup he came in. He was just doing too much resting and I was getting worried. Still good on the other fish except the corydoras are in deep hiding.

And I agree! They have such a personality. =)

Last edited:
That good. Just watch for spots on him. I have a total of 10 betta's (Love them!!!)and keep aquarium salt on hand at all times for them. Helps with a lot of different things as long as it's done right. Jungle fungus clear works good too for interenal, and works for bloat. Just good things to know for the future. ?

I did pick up some aquarium salt this morning at Walmart.

So if he starts developing spots, would you recommend using the salt for him in his little cup? Or move him to my 5 gallon (not set up now) to treat there with salt or heat?

I think I need to put some stuff in my first aid arsenal so I'm ready for things like this in the future!

The 5 gallon would be better. 1 tbs per 5g. Dissolve it in a cup of tank water Then add it. I kick the heat up to 88° if I can.

Hi Angellove78,

A few questions:

If I see no sign of spots on him should I still treat him?

Is it okay to grab a piece of filter media from the established tank that I just medicated to use in the 5 gallon?

Should I put the carbon in the filter (it's a fluval spec with its own filter).

The heater I had for that tank (Aqueon 50W) is not adjustable so I'll go back to Walmart to see if they have an adjustable one in stock.

These guys have been a serious money pit! Lol!

With ich x you should've took that out before dosing. Yes, I'd take it out now and put it in the 5 gallon. Another thing with salt you don't have to worry about. But, anyways, I'd just put him in the 5g for now. His immune system might have been strong enough to fight back. So, there's a chance he's ok. Just keep his water clean and watch for any signs. The min you see anything I'd add it and raise temp. As far as the "money pit". Welcome to our world of hobby. Lol! Wait til you get into real planted tanks. Lol! A lot of love goes into fish and plants. The hobby is so enjoyable when you get to know what your doing and figure things out. The only problem is that you become an addict. Lol! I started off with a 75g now have another 55g, 2-10g, 5g, and 3g. Lol! Betta's in all of them. And only one male. 75g is a community tank with angels, and 55g is female betta's. The small tanks are grow out tanks for smaller betta's and one has my male Lol! Like I said addiction! Lol! But I love it!

Wow! You have a few tanks...

I did take the carbon out before dosing. In fact I took the carbon out a long time ago. But I was wondering about the filter media - like the sponge or bio rings. I'm concerned about putting him back into an uncycled tank.

I've got the 5 gallon up and running with my preset heater in it. Walmart didn't have any adjustable heaters, so I'll have to order one or run to Petco. Not exactly around the corner, but doable.

I'll stick the betta in the 5 gallon for the night with no salt and regular temp (~76) and see what he looks like tomorrow.

The betta is why I got into this whole thing. My office assistants wanted an office pet and we were under the very false impression that it would be a simple thing. I don't even want to tally up all the money I've spent so far because it's a whole lot more than the $15 betta! Lol! But it is what it is. I just hope the problems stop soon and I can relax and just enjoy them with regular weekly maintenance. Every time I turn around there's something else I need to buy or do. =P

I do have a purigen filter that I haven't used yet. I am thinking I should put that into the 29 gallon when the medicating is all done? ZxC had suggested I use it for the planted tank in a different thread.

I'd do what ZxC said. ZxC knows plants, set ups, and how too's. Very good person for advice. I know when I started on my 75g. I added some fish that I inherited ich from and I took all my media out of my canister filter. bio media ( anything that had good bacteria on it) and set it in a bowl of tank water for a few days when I tried rid-ich for treatment. I left my pads in and just changed them out after treatment. One thing is for sure, I've learned to have another tank on hand when getting new fish. They stay in the qt tank for a few weeks til I feel they are ok to add to my main tanks. It's a lesson learned after a heart ach of loss on some fish. Never again will I just add any fish to my main tanks.

Argh, nothing I read said to take out the filter media, just the carbon. So the 3 sponges and bio rings in the HOB and the stand alone sponge filter are all still in there. Please tell me I did not just wipe out my good bacteria! I've lost enough sleep over these babies.

I definitely see the value of a quarantine tank. I think I will do that with either this 5 gallon or the 5 or 10 gallon my brother gave me (he can't remember which, it's been over 20 years since he did fish - when I ask him a question he just Google's it, Lol!). But it will need an adjustable heater. Have you seen Cory`s quarantine method from Aquarium Coop? Just wondering what the established community thinks of that.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it. I wish I had you or someone like you near me. =) I'm definitely a learn by being shown type of person. I'm in eastern Washington state by the way, just throwing that out there. You've been so helpful in my other threads, too.

By the way, the corydoras came out of hiding and are acting perfectly normal. Everyone except George seemed to tolerate the meds. Tomorrow another pwc, then a full dose, right? All the tetras, I think the BN (a little hard to tell since he is black with white spots and he doesn't hold still very long!), and one of the cories have white spots. The cory`s 2 spots are bigger than the other fish. George? -nothing.

As a funny little side note that proves your statement about bettas, he immediately knew where he was in the 5g and went right back to his old habits there. I like that George. =) Too bad there can be only one per tank.

Take out media, your media is what holds the good stuff for cycled tanks. Lol! The meds gotta cycle through in order to kill it all. Take it out asap. I never heard of Cory's quarantine. And your welcome. Lol! And yes 1/3 of a water change then redose. As for the pleco slice some cucumber or zucchini ( round not long) and skinned. Put it in a fork (stainless) and set it on the bottom of the tank. He will love it and it will help with stress and to make sure he eats. Betta's together is why I went with females. I have my male in a 5g. (Baby blue) veiltail. As soon as my 55g gets filled with plants I'll be adding more females. The females now a days are as beautiful as the males. Just without the long tail. Think I have every color almost. Lol! Red, purple, pink, blue, green, black, koi, white with blue and pink, and a white little baby. They are the coolest fish to watch grow and get their colors. ?

New tanks tend to imo have bacterial populations wiped out more easily. Older tanks more bullet proof. And depends on med type, even tank ph.

Either way - would check ammonia reading if on any meds dosing until get an idea how tank will behave.

Well, this morning everyone is still alive. George the betta seems a little off, but was happy to be fed.

Two of my nerite snails played escape artist overnight from their vase and were on the floor. One came out of its shell when I put it back; the other not yet.

I took out my bio rings and one of the sponges and put it in the bucket where I put my hornwort yesterday. I plunked in an airstone to keep movement over the filter media.

Someday I should write a book on lessons learned the hard way while trying to set up an aquarium. This has gone from getting an office pet fish to them taking over one quarter of my office! Lol!

But I must say that when the worries of my stressful job take over my mind and stomach, I just sit and look at my fish. Listening to the sounds of the motors, hearing the gurgling of the water, playing soothing music, it's just so peaceful.

Getting ready for the full dose - day two!

That's good. If George seems off to you. Stay ahead of the game and add that salt to his tank. But first test his water make sure there's no ammonia. Do a little water change for him before adding salt too. Gotta stay ahead of it or it will take a turn and add to your head ach. Remember to take deep breaths. It will get better.

Should I start the salt easy, or just go with the 1 Tablespoon for his 5 gallons? I do remember you said to dilute it in tank water first.

Also, do I need to raise the heat first? I cold get Petco later today or tomorrow to get an adjustable heater. Hmm, my brother had an old heater in his supplies. It says it's a Thermo-Q auto heater, 200W. I could put it in sideways, but it would of course be over kill for my 5 gallon. And if it's auto, I probably can't adjust it. There is some sort of rubbery knob thing on top, not sure what that's for. His stuff is just scary cause it's all old and brittle feeling.

In other news, the snails survived their foray into the office carpet.

Lol! The snails are funny. Probably trying to get back to the tank to get the good stuff. Lol! With the salt, get a cup or little bowl of tank water and put a little less than 1 tbs and stir it up till it dissolves completely. Then just add it to the water(little by little) Don't worry about the heater. You can use the 200w, BUT, it's gotta be set very low and make sure it stays consistent. I would wait a day and see how he does with just salt. Vacuum the bottom and Water change 2-50% after 2-3days. If he still seems to not act himself do another dose. And if you see spots tomorrow or next day vacuum the bottom daily and get a heater.?

Now one of the corydoras has white masses on both sides. It had a white spot that grew bigger than the other fish's spots. But this afternoon it's like this.

uc

Is this still part of ich? Or am I dealing with something else now?

Hard to see in pic. But, probably a secondary infection setting in. The meds should cover it. Weaker fish may pass on the second treatment cause they are to bad off. Just so you know. But, there's always a chance they all make it too. So, time will tell.

Any ideas on how to take good aquarium pictures? Lol!

George is salted. He is a bit listless, but reacts well to seeing me and eats eagerly like usual. Perhaps the current is just too strong in his 5g. I didn't baffle the output at all like I used to. With the salt I probably want to keep the current going, right?

The BN has his zucchini and is merrily munching away at it. He's always liked that.

Everyone else seems good so far. They all ate well. The cardinals do spend a lot of time hiding, but they came out to eat happily enough.

Some still have white spots but I am seeing less. If I understand correctly, I want all the white spots to burst so that the meds can kill the little trophomites (or whatever they're called - that's from memory without googling! Haha!)

The guy from the fish store that sold me the corydoras and the cardinals didn't think anything was wrong with the cory with the white patches. But he complained that he couldn't see the pic very well.

Aquarium Coop said it would have been fine to keep the snails and the betta in the tank. They also said I should leave the non-carbon filter media in and that it does more harm than good to take it out.

So much conflicting advice! Like anything, people have different ways of achieving the same goals, I guess.

All parameters look good on both tanks. NH 0, NO2 0, NO3 5, pH 8.2 (as usual).

I hope everyone survives the night.

Back
Top Bottom