Ick update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Noticed Ick in my tank last night and I think I caught it early. I had some filter trouble this week and the evening I resolved it was when the Ick showed up. I did a massive PWC, 80%, and added aquarium salt, about 3/4 of what the carton said to. I will be buying a hydrometer tonight or tomorrow to be able to more accurately tell how much salt I have in the tank.

I had noticed one of my tigers looking faded two days ago and thought it was due to my filter troubles, but when the first little spots showed up I now know it was Ick. I just finished my second big PWC, 75%, and added 3/4 of the salt I added last night and the faded tiger's color is already much better. It's black stripes are back and a touch of orange is back on it's fins so I think it will be alright. My guess is the parasites attacked it's gills first because it didn't show spots until after some of the other fish showed them.

I raised the temp on the heater in the tank one degree last night and two just now. I plan on doing PWC's daily and keeping the salt steady for a while. I want to get the tank temp up to 82F and keep it there.

After all the symptoms are gone how long should I keep this regiment up for? I know that the only real stage of the parasite's life cycle that is attacked by the salt is the free floating stage. I'm just worried about going too long or too short with treatment.

Noticed Ick in my tank last night and I think I caught it early. I had some filter trouble this week and the evening I resolved it was when the Ick showed up. I did a massive PWC, 80%, and added aquarium salt, about 3/4 of what the carton said to. I will be buying a hydrometer tonight or tomorrow to be able to more accurately tell how much salt I have in the tank.

I had noticed one of my tigers looking faded two days ago and thought it was due to my filter troubles, but when the first little spots showed up I now know it was Ick. I just finished my second big PWC, 75%, and added 3/4 of the salt I added last night and the faded tiger's color is already much better. It's black stripes are back and a touch of orange is back on it's fins so I think it will be alright. My guess is the parasites attacked it's gills first because it didn't show spots until after some of the other fish showed them.

I raised the temp on the heater in the tank one degree last night and two just now. I plan on doing PWC's daily and keeping the salt steady for a while. I want to get the tank temp up to 82F and keep it there.

After all the symptoms are gone how long should I keep this regiment up for? I know that the only real stage of the parasite's life cycle that is attacked by the salt is the free floating stage. I'm just worried about going too long or too short with treatment.

I think it's two weeks after you stop seeing symptoms. So continue for 2 more weeks after spots seem to be gone.

Here's some info:
Freshwater Ich? Yuck!

Back
Top Bottom