Idk whats wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought some guppies yesterday from petsmart I noticed one of the males staying at the top. He's not really eating. I looked closely and his mouth is white and one side looks like it won't open or something. Should I take him back or
Does this sound like something I can help ????

Homedog98 said:
Could you get a pic? Try lowering the water level a little bit.

I don't think it will show up ... His mouth looks swollen kinda and white ..

Homedog98 said:
I'm kinda stumped on this one. Got any aquarium salt or melafix on you?

Mouth Fungus
A very common guppy disease, mouth fungus, kills millions of guppies annually. From a small whitish area which prevents the fish from closing its mouth, the whole mouth becomes filled with a spongy-looking accumulation and the fish dies. If you examine the cottony growth from the mouth through a microscope, you will find it to be composed of an enormous number of moving organisms. The growth not only occludes the mouth but etches away at the tissue. Most people believe that this occlusion prevents the guppy from eating and therefore the guppy starves to death, but this is not the case at all. The necessary stream of water through the mouth and out of the gills can no longer pass and this is what ultimately kills the fish. Affected fish are extremely listless and hang near the surface, even in well aerated tanks.

I think this is the problem and seeing I've had them barely a day I don't see how I could be in fault..

Homedog98 said:
Melafix and aquarium salt should help.

I'm going to return them but I have a pleco do u think he can get it ??

^ Homedog98's advice
I had the same problem on my mollies.
API aquarium salt and API melafix will do the job as long as you follow the instructions.

Flossie said:
I'm going to return them but I have a pleco do u think he can get it ??

Don't return them if you can fix the problem!!

If it's a mouth fungus, then I'm pretty sure any fish could get it. I'd treat your tank for it.

Bettababe1011 said:

If it's a mouth fungus, then I'm pretty sure any fish could get it. I'd treat your tank for it.

And if your treating the whole tank, you'd might as well keep the fish.

And if your treating the whole tank, you'd might as well keep the fish.

Everyone is pelting you with posts because what they say is true.
This is your first tank? I'm still on my first tank, and I had fungus spring up on my mollies suddenly, almost overnight. Used these very simple chemicals and they were better right away.
Your first tank never goes perfectly, but it sure feels good knowing you've beaten a problem that has come up on your first tank. This can be treated easily, trust me.

Bettababe1011 said:

I'm returning them bc they pretty much sold me sick fish. I'm pretty mad about this.. Grrrr

I already had them scooped out before I saw your messages ... Is it my fault ?? Or were they already sick ?? I can take them back home but I don't know how to take care of sick fish :(

Mr. Limpet said:
+1

Starting out with sick fish isn't a good start. That's why I never buy from Petsmart or Petco.

Thanks mr limpet I agree... They can have their sick fish back

I say if you don't want them, return them. Keep a close eye on your other fish for 2 weeks before you add anything else to that tank.

I do feel bad for the fish though. Somebody needs to treat them properly. But that somebody doesn't have to be you. But if it's not, they will probably die.

Oh pack your bags..going on a guilt trip ;)

Flossie said:
Thanks mr limpet I agree... They can have their sick fish back

Yep, don't feel guilty about taking them back. They get them and treat them badly and expect returns, that's the reason they have a liberal return policy.

I'm glad I took them back because the cashier told me that ppl have been returning the guppies all day... Sorry but I don't want to pay for fish that may die anyway... he was pretty bad... And I dont want my pleco to die. I'm just learning and I freaked out when I saw that he was sick. My tank just finished cycling and now this... I'm pretty frustrated. Two of the ladies from two different petsmarts were not very nice. The one I returned them to barely even spoke to me. I said do you know anything about this? Is there something I can treat it with? She said yep we have medicine "over there" wow... that was insightful... I'm glad I have you guys. I bought some Melafix that cost me almost as much as the fish...sheesh... It says one teaspoon a day for seven days then a 25% PWC... I am probably due a PWC before that... Idk if that will hurt anything ??? It also says remove activated carbon if possible... I guess i'm still a clueless newbie cause i'm not exactly sure what that means... I sort of have an idea... Any extra advice on treatment?? Thank you all so much for your advice it is ALL greatly appreciated... even the guilt trip comments ~wink~

Back
Top Bottom