Ill betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labpig

Aquarium Advice Activist
My betta disappeared all day yesterday. Today he is lying at the bottom of the tank, (he never does this; he would normally rest in plants). Every so often he zips madly around the tank for a few seconds then collapses again on the bottom

1~What type of fish is afflicted? Just the betta, no one else

2~What are your tank parameters 0-0-5 ph 7.4 25C

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 20 gal, 6 months old. Betta was the 1st fish I got

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number juwel super

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? Dwarf gourami, neon tetra, pentagonal barbs, otto, coral platty

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? 40% pwc weekly

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Had him 6 months

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? No nothing

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? No recent change. flake Monday ,pellets wednesday, bloodworm Friday, Flake Sunday

You can see him lying at the bottom in this photo
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398629422.519363.jpg

Sorry. That should be ill betta. Curse you autocorrect !

I will fix your title for you now that I know it isn't a pun. ;)
Your tank looks and sounds good, I am not sure what is causing your issue. Does he look bloated at all? You could try fasting him for a day and then feeding shelled, blanched peas to the tank. Bettas inherently have a sensitive digestive tract.
Any withered looking fins? Clamped fins? White spots? Do his eyes look normal? Any visible sores anyplace on his body?

Thanks for fixing the title !

I tried earlier to feed him a pea, but he wouldn't take it

He doesn't look different at all- no spots, no clamped fins, no bloating or skinniness. It's odd though that he lies in the tank, but has the energy for a mad few seconds of frantic swimming

I'm at a loss what has caused it, as I haven't done anything different to the tank

I'll try starving him as you suggest and see what happens

Thanks

24 hrs later and he's still the same.

I transferred him to a quarantine tank last night.
I rang LFS this morning, they said it was probably old age! But they suggested I raised the temp to 26.5 and added some salt. Don't know else to do now

Back
Top Bottom