Ill fish, have i done the right thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3Corsameal

Aquarium Advice Regular
was looking at aquarium over weekend and noticed that a danio had swollen up and all the scales were sticking out, looked like a bull of white fuzz.

looked through book and it looked as if it was "dropsy"

so removed the fish and had to sacrifice it.

put some treatment stuff in, but not sure if it cures that disease. "protizon" (sp) i think it was

what would of caused it?

http://www.thegoldfishbowl.co.uk/dropsy.html

take a look at that page...is an ok overview. also if you google dropsy and fish you'll get a ton of hits that are pretty good.

As far as sacrificing goes, if you couldn't quarentine it, your probably did do the right thing. Apparently, even though it's not particularly contagious, one of the ways it can be spread is through other fish eating or pecking at it.

I think you'll probably be fine with the other fish but I'd do a partial water change and keep an eye on your water parameters just in case.

Sorry for your loss. :(

whoops did i post this in wrong forum?

thanks for the info, i'm wasn't too attached to the fish, i've had them for years, and they always help to cycle my new tanks.

might get a couple more tho, as they are really active and great fun to watch.

I moved the post for you :wink:
You did the right thing for the fish. If the other fish had eaten the ill one, you may have been in for a massive tank meltdown. Keep an eye on all the fish and treat if anything arises.

*grin* no. Mad cow disease takes advantage of a genetic anomoly, particularly in it's transference to humans (basically to get it you'd have to have the genetic anomoly...highly rare) and it's a virus....dropsy seems to be mainly bacterial in cause.

of course I might be far to literal. :mrgreen:

Umberle said:
Mad cow disease takes advantage of a genetic anomoly, particularly in it's transference to humans (basically to get it you'd have to have the genetic anomoly...highly rare) and it's a virus....

More correctly, its a prion. :p

Back
Top Bottom