I'm sad. New fish death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laken

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had been looking for the perfect koi female betta for a few months....whenever I went to a local fish store checking their selection or calling around looking to see if they had any in stock. I was so happy when about a week ago I had found her. The perfect one. I was so happy and excited.

She was in one of those horrible cups but she looked healthy enough. I put her in a quarantine tank and she seemed ok the first few days. Unless there's something obviously wrong with the fish/showing signs of illness I usually like to wait a week before starting treatment. Anyway about 3 days ago she started not being interested in food as much and I began to see her laying very still at the bottom of the tank with her head angled down. I quickly started treatment, but sadly I came home today to see that I had lost her. :(

I wasn't surprised I knew I was going to probably lose her but I'm still really sad about it. I usually don't get upset or emotional over losing new fish, but this one was different. I am really really sad :( about losing her.

I'm just posting this kind of for therapeutic reasons for myself.

Hey Laken,

I am glad you posted to talk about your fish. Very sorry for your loss. It is really hard, especially when you have such a long time of hoping for the right thing. And losing it.

Did you check the water quality?

QT seems to be a dangerous thing for fish. Sometimes there is not enough BB, sometimes you have no idea what has happened, and all things in between.

It's happened to me many times. Take the time to be sad and decide after if you want something similar / type of fish, and realize it will not be the same. And decide if you want the different Koi Betta. Never exactly the same experience in keeping something after starting over.

Another fish needs a home and you can take care of her/ or him.

Back
Top Bottom