Immediate Help Please! High Nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bkiggy said:
I usually do 10/15g every 5 to 7 days and always vac gravel. I have found out that I do over feed which is an issue. ;(
-my water does not contain nitrates.
I can't do very much at a time, I have a severely bad back and I'm only 35. I don't have any water sources near the tanks to get a python. I have to carry 5g buckets through the house

I have a terrible back myself (2 serious surgeries already). Without a Python I'd be done for. It's the best money you can spend to help you with water changes. I use a convalescent home to pour the water back in so it doesn't stir up debris and because my tank is planted I never actually clean the gravel. Saves a lot of back pain.

CorallineAlgae said:
I have a terrible back myself (2 serious surgeries already). Without a Python I'd be done for. It's the best money you can spend to help you with water changes. I use a convalescent home to pour the water back in so it doesn't stir up debris and because my tank is planted I never actually clean the gravel. Saves a lot of back pain.

Sorry, you use a what? To pour water back in?

Plus my partner won't let me have a python. Doesn't want tubes all over the house and plumbing issues

Hholly said:
Sorry, you use a what? To pour water back in?

A convalescent home is a plastic box with a lip that can hang onto a tank. I don't know another name for them. I put one inside the tank on the gravel and pour the water into it from the Python or a water jug and all the splashing stays in the box (convalescent home). Search for it on Amazon in the pet section and you'll see what they are. The LFSs use them. I'm sure there's a better name for them but I only ever used that name. It's what they're called on the box. lol I've acclimated everything in them for about 15 years. Very useful! :)

clearancepuppy said:
I was thinking there was an "d**n you auto correct" situation lol

Ah! They're also called specimen containers! I can't live without at least two of them but I have three. They're mostly for acclimation but also great for catching tricky fish and water changes like above.

Well nitrates have gone down a little. De*nitrAte does help. I have also done 3 50% water changes over 48 hours so as to not shock the fish. I have however lost 3 Cory's due to high nitrAtes , probably brown-blood disease. RIP little buddies.

+/- 30. Still high . Still trying very hard to get it down. - what plants can I permanently put in tank to lower nitrates ???

What plants do you have in there now and how are they doing? What light do you have? I will say that even with lots of plants you'll still need to do water changes.

I have done 90% WC over the past 5 days. Still high. I have all kinds of plants. Can't even remember what they are. But it's about 11 plants... Sort of dying back right now despite light and fertilizer. Need iron and potassium but I have to deal with high nitrates first -

Back
Top Bottom