Injured angelfish! Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mythonis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My juvenile angelfish decided the gravel siphon looked entertaining today and swam right into it while I was vacuuming the sand!
Luckily she didn't get stuck so as soon as I stopped the flow and tried to pull the siphon out of the water she backed out and swam like mad away from it. None of her fins were torn and she's not leaning or bobbing so I don't think her swim bladder got damaged, and she's still eating fine, but she got scraped pretty badly on one side and I can see where the scales have been damaged.
I feel terrible about it but I'm mostly worried. Do I need to do anything to help her heal? Should I be worried about it getting infected?
She's in a 29gallon planted tank with a couple mollies and neons, and a baby bristlenose pleco if that influences what care options I have.

When my fish got a pretty bad scrape I went into my LFS and got some Melafix. It treats infections and open wounds using all natural tea tree extractions.
Good luck:)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My juvenile angelfish decided the gravel siphon looked entertaining today and swam right into it while I was vacuuming the sand!
Luckily she didn't get stuck so as soon as I stopped the flow and tried to pull the siphon out of the water she backed out and swam like mad away from it. None of her fins were torn and she's not leaning or bobbing so I don't think her swim bladder got damaged, and she's still eating fine, but she got scraped pretty badly on one side and I can see where the scales have been damaged.
I feel terrible about it but I'm mostly worried. Do I need to do anything to help her heal? Should I be worried about it getting infected?
She's in a 29gallon planted tank with a couple mollies and neons, and a baby bristlenose pleco if that influences what care options I have.

The fact that it's still eating shows it wasn't too traumatized by the experience so for now, I'd just get something that replaces the slime coat on the fish ( IE stress coat or Novaqua or PRIME, etc) and monitor the wound. Should it start to get red or inflamed, then you are going to need to use a hospital tank and treat with an antibiotic.

Hope this helps (y)

Ok, I add stress zyme and prime whenever I do water changes, so that's covered. I'll keep an eye on it, hopefully she'll get better without anything going wrong but if it does, well hospital tank and antibiotics it is.

Back
Top Bottom