Injured Bala Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maillis

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my bala sharks (~6 inches) got himself stuck in a hole in a piece of driftwood and tore himself up pretty good, no missing fins but a lot of missing scales and a couple little spots that I can see blood. He's still swimming fine, didn't want to eat tonight but I'm not really surprised about that and he's sort of hiding in the back of the tank. I've added Melafix to the water anything else I should do? I was considering adding salt, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

Sometimes less is best. Melafix is the only thing you should add. Although the shark is stressed now, he will more than likely make a full recovery as long as no tankmates are picking on it. :wink:

Nope no tank mates picking on him, he's actually chasing the other bala shark around some but that's normal for them so I take it as a good sign.

He's doing ok as far as I can tell, swimming around fine, not too interested in flake food but I saw him eat a few bloodworms. His wounds look pretty nasty but nothing too deep (a lot of missing scales) and I'm not seeing any redness, fungus or signs of stress. Bad thing is I have to leave in the morning for a week, hopefully he'll be ok. I'll have someone coming in to feed so he'll at least be well fed.

Make sure he is not overfed, which will led to ammonia and nitrites while you are away. Keep up with the Melafix :D

Back
Top Bottom