Injured Bala Shark (Head Injury)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glezza

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys,

First time poster here. I've had fish for 4 years now, have had bala sharks the whole time. Tonight, my stupid house mate was chasing a bala shark with a velcro glass cleaner (the magnetic ones) and scared the shark so much that he sprinted straight into a wall head first.

I'm sure it was out of pure terror, as the though of being a bala shark chased by something bigger and as quick as me, I would run regardless of if there was a wall there or not!

Anyway, he (instantly) went belly up on the bottom of the tank for 1 - 2 minutes, before flattening out into his normal horazontal upright position (belly resting on the gravel) for about 3 more minutes.

After this he started (very gingerly) swiming around his corner of the tank, and has returned mostly to regular behaviour (although still very wary and a bit jumpy).

I have some photo's which I will post below (if your site lets me upload them). I am concerned he has fractured his skull or eye socket, as the left eye has bulged out rather severely, with a small red colouring on the top (you can see below).

As for the mandatory questions, I will attempt to answer them below:
1. Answered above (i have had the fish for about 1.5 years)

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)?
0, 0, 0, 27degrees Celcius and 7.5ph.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
its a 3" tank 100L, has been setup since Feb (4 months). Prior to that over 8 months, and prior to that 12 months (i move house alot!)

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
I am using an external Eheim Classic 2213 filter.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
There are:
Two smaller bala's in there
Two bristle nose catfish (2" and 2" in length)
Two Black Ghost's (3" each)
Two Rainbow fish (M&F) 3" each
A small Guppie
Four flying fox (alge eaters)
And a freshwater prawn about 4" (claws to tail)

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Cleaned the gravel 2 weeks ago, with a 40% water change, done once per month.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Acquired through a very reputable and reliable Aquarium.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No All stable for over a couple of months.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Normal diet, good quality flakes, worms, and crayfish pellets. 4 - 5 times per week.

I would like to know if anyone has seen this happen before, and what happened to the fish? I am concerned he might get an infection, or simply go belly up from pain/stress. Looking for general advice or comments about my situation.

Photos:
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Glenn
img0926j.jpg

Balas are very skittish when stocked incorrectly, the are social schooling fish that should be in numbers of 4-5 in a 300g to reduce this behavior. The only thing you can do is keep your water conditions pristine by peforming daily water changes, no meds or salt will save him. Then you really need to do some research on your fish selections, the only fish of yours that belongs in a 100l tank is your guppy.

How can anybody want to chase a fish around and scare him like that? I have a Bala as well and thats awful. Id say regular water changes and as he rests and chills out he may get better.

bala sharks are known for knocking their heads into the side of the tank when in too small of a tank just like pictus cats.

Thanks very much for the feedback guys. I got home from work, and he is still alive. He still appears to be behaving in this new 'hyper-skittish' state since the incident, however the swelling does appear to have gone down slightly over the past 22 hours. I am about to do a fresh 40% water change + vaccume the gravel.

The prawn does not seem to have bothered him overnight ( I turn the lights off for 7-8 hours each day). However his dorsal fin is fading colour slightly (blacks seem less black now) and is slightly frayed in one or two places along its edge. These are probly due to the stress he has been put under I would assume.

I agree that my tank is too small for him. I got him when he was very small, however as we all know Bala's grow rather large quite quickly. Recently I gave a Bala back to the Acquarium after keeping him for a year or so, as he approached 4" and was clearly too large. I will do the same with this one once he recovers (if he does).

The two smaller bala's I have are only 1" long. Do you think they are already too big for my tank?

Cheers.

I would rehome the fish as soon as possible, trying to keep a large fish in a small aquarium can lead to stunted growth and long term health problems.

Back
Top Bottom