Injured dwarf gourami.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
All was looking good. He was getting better. This morning he's taken a huge chunk out of the side if his head! It's about 2mm x 5mm. I don't know whats causing him to injure himself. I've spent hours watching him over the last couple of weeks and I haven't witnessed anything out of the ordinary.

Oooo! Do you have a picture??

Oh boy!! What is he up to at night when you are sleeping?!? Is there anything sharp your tank or anywhere he can catch himself/get himself caught in/under/between? Keep dosing the aq salt to limit any fluid loss & keep infection at bay & keep an eye on his wounds for now. I would try to figure what on earth he is up to!

jlk said:
Oh boy!! What is he up to at night when you are sleeping?!? Is there anything sharp your tank or anywhere he can catch himself/get himself caught in/under/between? Keep dosing the aq salt to limit any fluid loss & keep infection at bay & keep an eye on his wounds for now. I would try to figure what on earth he is up to!

I have checked the tank top to bottom. The only thing I can think of that is even remotely pointed are the clips in the suction caps that hold the spray bar and heater in place. I have never seen him near them though. Unless he is rubbling it on the wood? I haven't seen any of this behavior. He was flashing for a day at the most when he first hurt himself but I haven't witnessed it since.

He is a beautiful fish! I love gouramis.

I wonder if a half hour salt bath for just him alone would be a good idea. At least that way you wouldn't have to add anything to the tank.

I've done salt baths for mollies and tetras, but never for a gourami before. But for the others it seemed to be just the thing.

Those clips look a bit dangerous but thats just me. Maybe you could wrap them in a bit of foam or stick some sponge on ends? Is there room for him to fit behind this? Just a thought... i dont know what is he doing at night!

Sisserydoo said:
He is a beautiful fish! I love gouramis.

I wonder if a half hour salt bath for just him alone would be a good idea. At least that way you wouldn't have to add anything to the tank.

I've done salt baths for mollies and tetras, but never for a gourami before. But for the others it seemed to be just the thing.

Thanks. That's something to consider if he doesn't improve. The others seem to handling the salt alright at the moment. From memory there is about a 1/3 maybe a 1/4 dose left in the tank from last time. I'm going to add more now.

Well, if you do decide to do it, here is what I did with my fish:

I dip one gallon of water out of the tank and pour it into a bucket. I then add one level tablespoon of plain old salt and mix in well. I use table salt WITHOUT IODINE! I then net the fish and put him in the bucket for exactly a half hour, watching closely the whole time in case of signs of distress. Then I just net him again and put him right back in the tank.

This has worked for me for fungus looking stuff around the mouth and eyes, and a molly that seemed to have some kind of abrasion on its side.

Good luck, I hope he gets better. He's such a pretty fish, and considering he was your first one I'm sure your attached to him :)

Mumma.of.two said:
I just had a horrible thought!
Do you think it's possible he has HITH?!
It's not getting any better or worse. It's not red but white in color.

I had a powder blue that had hith. Bought him with it but at first it looked like a chunk out of its dorsal. And gradually it got worse. Hopefully he's not got it. Could it be a infected burn?

wilmo said:
I had a powder blue that had hith. Bought him with it but at first it looked like a chunk out of its dorsal. And gradually it got worse. Hopefully he's not got it. Could it be a infected burn?

Oh great! :( the more I think about it the more I think it is!
I don't know how he could burn it. The heater is barely on, it's summer over here.

Mumma.of.two said:
Oh great! :( the more I think about it the more I think it is!
I don't know how he could burn it. The heater is barely on, it's summer over here.

When I had gouramis they were really bad for resting against the heater. It.prob happened at night. I'm guessing it gets pretty cold at night where you are. I live in Scotland so my heaters on 24/7. Using 2 50W fluval e series heaters. I will text my mate he is a manager at my lfs.

wilmo said:
When I had gouramis they were really bad for resting against the heater. It.prob happened at night. I'm guessing it gets pretty cold at night where you are. I live in Scotland so my heaters on 24/7. Using 2 50W fluval e series heaters. I will text my mate he is a manager at my lfs.

Im in Queensland Australia. Doesn't get too cold at the moment.

he's not got back to me yet. but i googled it, and it said you may need an aquatics antibiotic, such as "oxytetracycline" which is a broad spectral antibiotic, will destroy the infection... you should be able to get it from a vet... no wander your heater is never on. lol.

wilmo said:
he's not got back to me yet. but i googled it, and it said you may need an aquatics antibiotic, such as "oxytetracycline" which is a broad spectral antibiotic, will destroy the infection... you should be able to get it from a vet... no wander your heater is never on. lol.

Thank you for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom