Injured Oscar. Need a little advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, last night after I went to bed I heard a splash and the smack of my tank hood. I looked in the tank and saw that my oscar was still in there swimming around right-side up, and I went back to bed. When I got back up to feed, I saw that its pectoral fin had a tear/break and he had a wound on his belly. Yipes.

Is this a Melafix and warmer tank situation? I was going to do the recommended melafix treatment for 7 days with an 82F tank. Couple questions:

-Is salt good too? I have aquarium salt, I just know that salt on an open wound for me doesn't feel too good.

-Is it really important to remove the carbon from my HOB filters? And if I do, is there going to be any harm to my water?

-I have vitamin soaked pellets. Is this a good time to use them at every feeding?

Thank you.

When treating with meds, remove the carbon. The carbon will simply remove the meds. After you are done treating the fish, add carbon back into the tank to remove meds. I'm not too sure on what you should do, maybe post this question in the Unhealthy fish forum.

SpaceButler,
Go with the Melafix treatment and like FishyFinatic said remove the carbon until after treatment.
I always add aquarium salt to my oscar tank as directed after every water change.
I use vitamin soaked pelets every other feeding.

Thanks a lot. I figured I'd do a water change halfway through the treatment process too.

Appreciate the advice.

I've read it's a general stress reliever as well as a tonic when nursing unhealthy fish. Not sure, but I've used it with a pleco before. Seemed ok. I don't have any backing for that.

If you are using Melafix, don't do a water change in the middle of the treatment. Instead, do a water change first, then treat the tank (I think the directions say to treat every day for a week), then do a water change and add carbon when the treatment is done. I don't think you necessarily need the salt, but I don't think it would be bad for Grumbo either. Not sure about the vitamin pellets, I have never used any. As long as your water quality is good I think Grumbo will heal with no problems. A couple of my cichlids have suffered pretty nasty fin injuries after fighting, and they seem to grow back surprisingly quickly (Yes, they were rehomed after a couple of those instances).

What I'm wondering about here is what made poor Grumbo freak out so badly in the first place. Have you thought about adding some more caves or hiding spots, or maybe some plastic plants? Maybe that would make him feel more secure (I don't know what your tank looks like, so disregard if you already have tons of places to hide).

HTH :mrgreen:

ok. No water change mid-remedy. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I've got a ton of plastic plants (while he's still young, eh?). Just yesterday, I added a great plant pot for a cave that he can fit in. So I think he's alright for hiding spots.

I don't know what made him freak. I'm wondering if he caught a glimpse of light or something, thought it was food and flew out of the water hitting the metal part in the middle of the top of the tank or something.

EDIT: On a bright side note, Grumbo ate his first Medium-sized hikari pellet today. I remember when the mini size was was too much for him. :cry: They grow up so fast.

Back
Top Bottom