Injury or Disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karackle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm at work and I was feeding the fish here (I work in a zebrafish research lab) and I noticed one of the fish has red along both his sides. It looks like he got injured, maybe got stuck in the mating grass, but I thought I'd post here and see if anyone's heard of a disease that matches this description.

I realize the decription is all but useless without a picture, so I'm charging hte camera (I tried to get a pic with the last of the battery but it wouldn't open the lense for me, i'm hoping that's just because it was low on batteries) So i'll post a pic as soon as I can get it, but i figured, for now, i'd see if anyone's seen anything that sounds similar.

Thanks!

Well, the camera isn't working....it's doing a bizarre thing where it records only sound...so i'll have to bring in my own camera tomorrow and post a picture then. For now he's isolated, we'll see what happens.

What size of tank and did you test parameters and if so please post here. Is he gasping at all? What are the other fish in the tank? You could add some melafix/pimafix but without knowing the size and stocking of the tank, I am recluctant to recommend anything specific.

Hi, yes the parameters are tested twice daily, it's a large rack system, it only houses zebra danios (different strains, but all Danio rerio). The rack system we use looks like this:

img_847619_0_eeb557ba259f23803fa205403ac6e2fb.jpg

sorry it's not a great picture, but it should give you an idea of what i mean by a rack system. I'm working on getting the picture of the fish himself to check if anyone's seen anything like it and if i need to worry about my whole stock of fish getting contaminated. I'll post the picture as asoon as i can.

thanks!

Pictures

Ok, I finally got a chance to take a picture, they're not great but i did get a decent one of each side. You can see the reddish discoloration...i think it's an injury, but has anyone seen a disease/infection that looks like this?

Left Side:
img_847624_0_1605eefefd4917aa6a69bcb94873bed8.jpg

Right Side:
img_847624_1_2b2701a8c524b737c96071660691ea2d.jpg

Thanks!

It does look like an abrasion injury. The second picture looks like a possible nip. Although I'd be hard pressed to believe mating grass could cause it. Is he in a tank with any other fish or by himself? I would keep him in QT and treat with melafix and pimafix and keep an eye on him. It doesn't seem to be too serious but better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom