Internal parasite question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read that if fish have clear poop it's probably an internal parasite. I'm not sure which fish it is but I think it may be my pleco. How can I treat this? And how long does she have?

image-4172033378.jpg

It's on the top part of the plant if you can see it.

Is the pleco a more recent addition? Or any other fish that has been added in the past few months? Were any of the new additions properly quarantined for a couple of weeks before being added to the tank? How do your parameters look as I know there were some issues (nitrates?)?

I wouldn't jump immediately to internal parasites since there are other reasons for white feces such as constipation from low quality foods, other food related irritants such as bloodworms, and even water conditions leading to stress. What your seeing is the intestinal lining which is the result of attempting to pass something, so I wouldn't be to concerned unless you start seeing this continuously and other symptoms such as reclusive behavior, refusing to eat, and sunken stomachs.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlk
It was the same pleco that had ich that I think that is having the clear poop. And she was added a month- month and a half ago and I lowered the nitrates recently,I've been doing more frequent water changes.

I wouldn't jump immediately to internal parasites since there are other reasons for white feces such as constipation from low quality foods, other food related irritants such as bloodworms, and even water conditions leading to stress. What your seeing is the intestinal lining which is the result of attempting to pass something, so I wouldn't be to concerned unless you start seeing this continuously and other symptoms such as reclusive behavior, refusing to eat, and sunken stomachs.

She eats and hangs around the other fish( other than feeding time that's when she gets aggressive) but her stomach has gotten a little smaller since I got her.

It's my female Ryukin with the clear poop:( and she sulks in the corner a lot more often now so how long does she have? Or can I treat it? And will it harm any of the other fish?

I would fast the fish for 2-3 days and watch it from there, the stringy feces could just be a symptom of constipation. After fasting if the fish still doesn't eat then I'd treat with a anti parasite medication such as General Cure from API.

Back
Top Bottom