Internal Parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Tuttle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a listless female molly with stringy poo and several neons and guppies with red, thread like protusions from their butts in my 21 g.

Is it possible to treat the tank with something against the parasites without harming the snails & shrimp?

There's no point in treating the fish in a separate tank, hey? The snails can be carriers of parasites, can't they?

Thanks.

Move the molly to a separate tank, Get the tank temperature up as high as you can (preferrably 92 for the meds to work) and dose the tank with metronidazole (commonly called metro). You will want a concentration of 400-500mg/10 gal of water. You can dose up to 3 times per day, definitely dose at least once per day for 4-5 days. Every morning before you dose do a 50% water change with warm water to keep the tank at or above 92 degrees. You will want to add an extra airstone to help the molly breathe more easily.

You are treating for internal flagellates. Heximita is the main culprit and you should do more frequent and large water changes to prevent this from happening again in the future. Upping the temp to 92 degrees by itself may also make the fish recover if you can't find the meds, but meds are recommended for treatment of this ailment.

These are caused by poor water conditions? Uh-oh. I do 50-60% water changes weekly.

Poor water conditions and overfeeding allows them to take hold and cause a fish to get sick. Generally it's already in the water waiting to take hold.

I was thinking it came in on snails; I'd read they can carry parasites to fish populations.

It's doubtful that this came from the snails. I had a couple of fish with Hex in my 100g discus tank with no snails present this summer. I treated successfully in the manner that I described to you. Good luck.

I've done some more checking up on this: Hex is hole in the head disease, something that my fish don't have.

I think I've isolated this is an outbreak of camallanus worms, and that seems very bad. Has anyone had some success treating for these? If I can't fight these off successfully (acccck!), would I need to rid the tank of all snails to remove all possible hosts to be able to let the worms die off?

I've done some more checking up on this: Hex is hole in the head disease, something that my fish don't have.

I think I've isolated this is an outbreak of camallanus worms, and that seems very bad. Has anyone had some success treating for these? If I can't fight these off successfully (acccck!), would I need to rid the tank of all snails to remove all possible hosts to be able to let the worms die off?

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about on this one. HITH disease along with lateral line erosion (both commonly referred to as HLLE) hasn't been confirmed to be caused by a single microorganism. There are theories from nutrient and vitamin deficiencies to poor water quality that are suspected of causing the HLLE. Hex are flagellated organisms that cause exactly what is seen in your fish and they are almost always found present in wounds caused by HLLE. It's up to you whether or not you want to follow my advice, but I know I am correct.

I have treated for internal parasites using metronidazole before. I find that I personally have also had great success with PraziPro.

The disease could very well be as bs states or nematodes, which are colored red/brown. Only you will be able to tell if the rectal is just distended or "wormy." The white "fecal" usually entails cestode. Depending on the route you wish to take I offer the following:

In treating with Metro for a short-term bath the recommended concentration is 5mg/l or 19mg/gallon for a 3 hour treatment, every other day for 3 treatments. Prolonged immersion would be 6.6mg/l (25mg/gallon) once daily for 3 days or 25mg/l (95mg/gallon) every other day for 3 treatments.

You also have the option of a short-term bath of metro in a separate container and a prolonged immersion of Praziquantel (PraziPro as Zagz informed) in the main quarantine, but if possibly nematodes Fenbendazole (oral) will work.

I am not disagreeing with anyone, just offering options :)

One of my favorite aspects of Web 2.0.

Funny how you come here looking for advice and people go out of their way to help you and you show no appreciate whatsoever. Then you go on to dismiss my diagnosis claiming that it's not "hole in the head" since your quick Google search of Hex came up with nothing but HLLE related issues. Had you thoroughly researched you would have found that hex is the cause for most internal issues that turn the feces white. Tapeworms would be the other possibility and Prazipro would be the recommended treatment as Anne suggested. Prazi won't help with the Hex though. The feces will also be segmented if tapeworms were present and not white and stringy as you described. But hey, what do I know Johnny? You seem to have all the answers. Good luck with your sick fish!

bs6749, this is what I mean. I come here for advice (and in other threads to try to help), and you have nicely taken the time to help me out. I double-checked your suggestions (as anyone here should--that's only responsible), and I came back with what I found.

It's your reaction now that is wonky to me--either I accept what you've said based off of my initial post, or I'm an ingrate. I don't accept your premise here.

FTR, the difference between segmented and stringy poo might be clear to you, but it isn't to me. I mean that my fish's poo looks normal (I don't believe I'd said it's white--it isn't) but has variable thinkness down to thread like thickness. We might just not be understanding each other here.

Everything I've read on my own seems to suggest camallanus worms. You've mentioned something that I understood as HITH.

I don't claim to have all of the answers, and I'm showing a willingness to try to get them. Yes, I've questioned what you said, and as I say, I think that's healthy to do with message board posts even from informed posters.

What's your problem with me again beyond I dared question your diagnosis?

Lets keep it on topic folks. JT has asked for help and there have been given several opinions( good ones I may say) and the OP can take them or leave them. All we can do is offer our advice and the OP will do with it as he seems fit.

Back
Top Bottom