Internal Parasites??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How many treatments of tetra parasite guard should it take before the parasites are gone? I just put the third treatment in tonight but Im still seeing some strange poop?

What exactly should normal poop look like? lol sorry if that is a silly question :/

No only the poop. It is stringy in each fish but the colors vary from fish to fish

If you have done 3 treatments of the parasite meds & there are no other symptoms, i suspect it just may be normal poop. Do you feed any veggies? You may want to consider adding some to their diet.

Parasite Treatment

How many treatments of tetra parasite guard should it take before the parasites are gone? I just put the third treatment in tonight but Im still seeing some strange poop?

Hello brunette...

Those processed chemicals can really stress your fish and do more harm than good. I think all you need to do is start an aggressive water change routine by removing and replacing half the tank water every week with nothing more than pure, treated tap water.

To get rid of the parasites, I'd add a little more than a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of your replacement water and thoroughly vacuum the substrate during the process.

Most fish pathogens can't tolerate even a trace of dissolved salt in the tank water and good vacuuming will remove those living in the gravel.

The combination of a lot of pure, treated water flushed through the tank and a little aquarium salt will get your tank and your fish back on track.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider or not.

B

I usually do two water changes a week sometimes more if I have time. I tried treating with some salt before I bought any medicine but with no luck. The fish are acting fine so I just am not sure? I also have plants so it makes the salt thing a little more tricky. But I did have them in another tank to treat them with salt before I bought the parasite guard but it didnt help either.

Hmmm I guess I will have to post thisquestion elsewhere i cant seem to get any help about this! Not even at my pet stores! UGH!

You've gotten some answers. If you have treated 3 times and it's the same id say it's normal. They are acting fine, eating and producing waste they sound fine. What does it look like? What do you feed?

Yeah they all act fine I just didnt know what to do at this point. It is different colors and stringy...I feed omega one

brunettebaby4571 said:
Yeah they all act fine I just didnt know what to do at this point. It is different colors and stringy...I feed omega one

I'm not familiar with omega one food. Is the poop the same color as the food? Stringy poop isn't just a sign of parasites. It can also indicate internal infections and (most likely in this case) constipation. Try feeding a crushed blanched deshelled pea and fast the fish for 2-3 days.

Your Fish Question

Hmmm I guess I will have to post thisquestion elsewhere i cant seem to get any help about this! Not even at my pet stores! UGH!

Hello again brunette...

The fishes' waste depends on what they eat. If you're feeding a balanced diet of flakes, frozen food and some pellets, then fine. I wouldn't fret over the color of fish poop or any of that.

Remove and replace half the tank water every week. Add a teaspoon of aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water and vacuum the gravel where it's convenient and let the fish and plants do their thing. Tanks have been running this way for many years.

You're the "water keeper". Your only job is make sure the water is pure at all times.

Keeping a fresh water tank is really pretty simple.

B

Thank you guys....I guess I just get super freaked out about things lol but I will keep an eye on everything...They have been eating very well and are active ever since I treated with the parasite guard...Thank you guys again

brunettebaby4571 said:
Thank you guys....I guess I just get super freaked out about things lol but I will keep an eye on everything...They have been eating very well and are active ever since I treated with the parasite guard...Thank you guys again

Good to hear, I love the Jungle or Tetra parasite treatment. Have worked good for me also. If in fact your fish got some internal parasite, now that they are eating, will be good to give them some medicated parasite food. Jungle makes one that works good.

Good luck

Treating with salt does help with some parasites but not all.

If you can get ahold of an anti parasite medicated food, they work really well. I use jungle parasite clear (fizz tabs) which have both prazi and metro in them, it's not as effective as a medicated food is, but it still works fine.

Back
Top Bottom