Internal Parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
Thinking one of my tanks' fish may have internal parasites. A couple have white poop and they aren't wanting to eat. At best they'll eat the food but spit it out. So far cory cats and betta seem un affected, maybe the guppy, but the tetras, platy, and German Ram do. Wondering how I should go about treating. I think we have some fresh garlic so I'll see if they'll take that.

Stringy white feces is a great indication of a digestive issue but it does not always mean internal parasites, what your actually seeing is the lining of the intestinal track. This irritation can be caused by improper diet, low quality foods, and of course internal parasites. So the treatment is not a one size fits all I'm afraid.

What are you feeding?

I would follow this schedule in treatment using either API'S General Cure(first choice) or Tetra's Parasite Guard, also make sure you remove any carbon source prior to any treatment. I also don't recommend feeding during treatment to allow the digestive track to clear and leave the overhead lights off this allows for a reduction in stress.

Day 1. Perform water change then treat at full dosage.
Day 2. Perform a 30% change and re-dose at full strength.
Day 3. Perform a 30% change and re-dose at full strength.
Day 4. Don't do anything again.
Day 5. Perform water change in excess of 50% and re-dose at full strength.
Day 6. Don't do anything again.
Day 7. Massive water change in excess of 60-70%.
Day 8. Feed and see if everyone is eating.

The last thing I would add is Epsom salt dosed slowly at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, then replace the only the salt you've removed from the water changes.

Yes that is enough for 3-4 treatments, each packet will treat 10 gallons of water. Also don't forget the Epsom salts as that will act like a laxative to help ensure the digestive track is completely clear.

And treat everyone as Metro and Prazi are safe for fish and inverts, if they're not showing symptoms they still have the potential for infection from mouthing infected fecal matter.

Good luck. I have begun treating all my incoming fish for parasites as part of my QT process.

Fish Disease Index: Prevention And Detection - Aquarium Advice

I think I'm going to buy a cheap sponge filter and seed it so I can start QT new fish. I will admit I never have. Especially next year if I am able to start my 55. Should I buy 1 pack or two?

I'll keep you updated on how they are doing.

I think I'm going to buy a cheap sponge filter and seed it so I can start QT new fish. I will admit I never have. Especially next year if I am able to start my 55. Should I buy 1 pack or two?

I'll keep you updated on how they are doing.

Do you mean the General Cure? If so I would buy 2 packs to have one on hand for the future, it's got a 2-3 shelf life if I recall.

Stringy white feces is a great indication of a digestive issue but it does not always mean internal parasites, what your actually seeing is the lining of the intestinal track.

The lining of the intestinal tract? Surely this would mean a prolapse, which doesn't sound good?

White or colourless faeces is a sure sign of constipation. Live or frozen daphnia fed two or three times a week is excellent to help prevent this problem and is very nutritious. Chopped earthworms are also an excellent food and very much overlooked by fishkeepers.

The lining of the intestinal tract? Surely this would mean a prolapse, which doesn't sound good?

Yes, the stringy white feces is the mucus lining of the intestinal track and it doesn't indicate prolapse. This can be caused by constipation, low quality foods which are hard to digest such as the hard exoskeleton of blood worms, or internal parasites.

Mess FINALLY got here! And I ordered them with amazon prime! What's the wait about??!! Anyways... Will start dosing tonight.

Funny I actually like the smell to be honest, but I also love the smell of gasoline so I guess my nose can't be trusted.:lol:

:lol: I live on a farm, so poop isn't a new smell to me, but I don't want it in my room necessarily :lol:

Just did second water change and dose. What's funny is that while I was waiting for the stuff to get here, it seems like my fish got a lot better :lol: Still doing to use them, anyways. My ram seemed the most affected, and he had some pretty normal poop today! :) :lol: That sounds weird.

I would still treat with two doses to be sure. But it's good they're getting better, especially without the treatment.

why do you need to remove the carbon before treatment?

I would still treat with two doses to be sure. But it's good they're getting better, especially without the treatment.

I'm following the 4 day treatment you suggested. Is that good or should I only do two days?

Back
Top Bottom