Internal parisites. How to get rid of them for good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK well i am down to:

1 cherry barb
2 zebra danios
4 black skirt tetras
4 cories
1 serpae tetra
1 bolivian ram (who funnily enough has proved himself to be extremley hardy)

Fish i have lost to internal parisites:
5 cherry barbs
1 danio
3 gouramis ( i think it was parisites for atleast two probably all three)
1 buenos ares tetra

So, every right now seems to be fine except for one cherry barb who is still no eating properly and is lethargic. I havnt put him in the quarintine yet because i have not had time to sterilize in yet since his last remaining fellow cherry barbs died in it last week.

I have been feeding 3 types of anti parisite food for around a week now, but every fish that stops eating has died, so i have little hope for the poor little barb. Do you think its worth it to try to get some external water treatment to try to save the little guy?

How can i get rid of this for good? It is making me hate my fish tank s even though i loved it before. There's been an average death toll of about a fish/two weeks for a couple months now.

I can sympathize. I was given a couple dozen unhealthy fish last summer, and I've finally stablized at 6 survivors.

If he won't take his medicine, it's a bit hard to do much for him. You could try an external parasite medication, but they do limited good internally, as it seems you already know.

I've tried the gel-tek and jungle anti-parasitic foods. The gel-tek was only eaten by the largest fish, not the smaller guys. The jungle stuff seemed to go ok if I pre-soaked it and crushed the pellets as I put them in the tank. What ones are you trying?

The jungle, which i crushed and soaked, plus this tetra anti medic stuff. Also, this guy who works at a LFS (NOT THE OLD ONE I WILL NEVER I REPEAT NEVER EVEN GO IN THERE AGAIN!) and runs a fish matience buisness. Its what he uses for his buisness, its just normal flake food soaked in medication which he gave me for FREE. Thats the only one the fish will eat a normal amout of. Oh, and i meant water teatment for internal parisites not external parisite medication. Theres this one i forget the nam but i know the LFS has that says its ideal for treating fish who are not eating becasue it is absorbed by the fish. Even if i cant save the barb, how ca i get rid of the problem for good?

Jungle's Parasite clear has worked well for me. It treats both internal and external parasites. I am currently treating 2 mollies.

Check for it in the pets section of local retail stores or maybe even grocery stores. It's pretty common.

edit: Levamisole hydrochloride is another excellent treatment, but it can be hard to find. Try veterinary or farm supply stores.

NVM, found it in the LFS. You know how it says watch it fizz on the case? Well, my bolivian ram thought it might be good to eat so he kept bumping it and then getting freaked out by the bubbles and swimming backward away from it. It was quite amusing to watch. Once im sure this parisite thing is gone, im gonna restock. Atleast two more cherry barbs for the poor lonley guy, (if he recovers) some friends for the serpae (hes starting to get mean all by himself!) and a pleco to help keep algae down. YAAY Oh, i by the way i will quarintine them this time..... I never had a chance before becasue i only got the quarintine 1 month ago. Besides, it wouldn't of done any good because this happended after around 2 months. I think the parasites came with the gouramis becasue people have had all sorts of problems with DG lately, including me.

Parasite Clear Question...

I think I have some kind of parasite (see my post for help today on my current situation). I am off at my lunch break to find some of the Jungle Labs products to get started on tonight with the poor little fishes.

My question is do the fish need to be in a QT tank to start the fizz therapy? I have a 75 gallon tank and would expect that the medicine would get lost in that much water.

Since I do not have a QT tank yet I will need to get that going as well.

The amount of medicine is determined by the volume of water. I think the dose is 1 tablet per 10 gallons (check package to be sure) so you'll need 2-3 boxes to do a 2-3 cycle treatment. (Third cycle is optional, if first two don't do the trick. I always do the third for insurance.)

Back
Top Bottom