Iridescent Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AshaKayx3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an iridescent shark (about 9-10") in a 55 gal tank with other cichlids. The poor thing just swims into the side all day... is the tank too small for him/her? I got her from a tank about that size with other big fish. I don't want him/her to be miserable. If it's too small, I will rehome it.

I have an iridescent shark (about 9-10") in a 55 gal tank with other cichlids. The poor thing just swims into the side all day... is the tank too small for him/her? I got her from a tank about that size with other big fish. I don't want him/her to be miserable. If it's too small, I will rehome it.

Yes, too small. A full grown irridescent shark measures close to 36" and only poor housing and improper diet can keep them from getting to that size. Ironically, I just saw some sites online that say the in an aquarium, they only grow to 9"-12" but in the wild to 36" That's quite a difference don't you think?

At best, they are a short lived aquarium fish but will do much better in larger aquariums or ponds. My buddy just reponded ( put his fish into a larger pond) his 24" Irri. Yes, they CAN get that large when properly cared for. (y)

I see iridescent, rainbow, and bala sharks at my grocery store sometimes, and I always just think they have no business selling those animals.

I see iridescent, rainbow, and bala sharks at my grocery store sometimes, and I always just think they have no business selling those animals.

If you watch any of the programs on Youtube or TV where they go to any fish markets on the Amazon or in the Far East, you'll see many fish there that we commonly keep in aquariums. Many are considered food fish in their native countries. The real question should be, WHY are they being offered in Pet Shops?

Back
Top Bottom