Iridescent shark with a tumor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riskoffire

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I just bought a 125gl aquarium with a 15" iridescent shark. It looks like it has a tumor or something? What is it? What should I do about it? Is it contagious? If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm not sure how to attach the pic so I have a link to it online.

http://i.pgu.me/YtxQXxbw_original.jpg

Is there anyone who could be of assistance? Im not sure what to do with him.

Does it spend a huge amount of time swimming against the glass? Fish can develop balls on their nose from that, similar to how we get calluses on our fingers...

Other than that, I'd probably have to ask for a lot more stocking and water info...

I just got the 125 gallon aquarium, the tank was not in the best living condition for the fish. It only had a 30 gallon filter in it. Also they were putting the shark in a pond during the summer. Everything else in the tank is happy and healthy. Just the shark and the bump on his nose.

Is it harmful to him, it almost looks a little bit bloody... Should I remove it?

Without knowing for sure what it is, I would leave it there and just make sure those water conditions get better. It could be a bacterial infection of some sort rather than a physical problem like I guessed before...

All you can do is give a fish good water really and see what happens. In any case, I'm glad you rescued it.

Is the size of the tank suitable for him?

If no improvement would it be harmful if it was removed? Because it almist looks like its splitting at the bottom

What else is in there?

If it is already an open wound then it could be argued removing it wouldn't do any further harm, but I can't advise you to do it. I don't know what this fish has in it's nose (sensors, etc) and it just could really do a lot of harm...

Ummm... Maybe you could get a vet to remove it? Not sure if they're trained for that kind of thing, but who knows.

Back
Top Bottom