Is Bob alright?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I am new to fish keeping having fallen for another sob story with Bob and the Bobettes about to be homeless, my father in law moved and couldn't take them. Bob is a 10 year old fantail goldfish and the Bobettes White cloud Mountain Minnows (i think). The 60 litre tank they came in was slim and wide and poor Bob could only swim backwards and forwards. The tank however didn't have much algae and Bob looked fit and healthy. Anyway I bought a new 95ltr tank, and between the weekly clean used the 60litres and topped up with fresh de-chlorinated water, added some more fake plants and a rock thing. I have over the last 2 months managed to bring the Nitrite and Nitrate down to 0ppm, and the Ammonia is mostly 0ppm but does occasionally look a little nearer 0.25ppm colour. The PH is high and I can't get it down, it sits firmly between 7.4 and 7.8, the water from the tap is 7.4 and the de-chlorinated water before adding to the tank is between 7.8 and 8.00. I am using Kings British De-chlorinator. I replace 20% of the water every Monday but everything is covered in dark brown algae in a couple of days , so I bought 2 Zebra Nerites which helped, so added another 2 Orange spotted Nerites a mohth later and 3 more Gold White Cloud Mountain Minnows, which are tiny in comparison to the Bobettes, 3 weeks ago. Everything seemed to be going swimmingly, if a little stressful and I thought I had everything balanced. We have an automatic feeder for the weekends as they are in the office. Monday morning we noticed some stuff near the Moss balls, I have tried to take a picture and have attached, it looks like an opaque jelly type stuff with a stringy insert. We are debating that it is fish poo, but that has always been red, if from a fish then it has to be Bob as it is long, obviously i am now concerned about Bob who is sleeping a lot and looks a bit bulgy eyed. They are fed flakes, a small pinch twice a day and the only change to the food is I also add a little Dennerle complete flakes for the minnows, Bob doesn't like it. I test the water with an API freshwater Master test kit. I am sorry for the length of the post :fish2:

Attachments

• Fish stuff.jpg
    Fish stuff.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 33
Hi earhtmother. Mouldy! Could it be something coming out of the Moss balls? I removed a long line of it Monday and the one pictured appeared this morning. Bob has been eating the Moss balls but not eating anything today.

Is it uneaten food sitting on the bottom of the tank starting to mold? Do you pick up everything that bob doesn't eat or are you letting him forage?

Reactions: DiB
Another photo

I'm not sure if this is any clearer but it is the white/opaque stuff between the Moss balls that is concerning me. This was the first lot on Monday which I took out prior to the gravel hoover and tank clean. This photo also shows the level of algae in a week, the bubble tube, is this normal? I remove the worst stones and plants and clean them in the removed water before replacing but by Friday everything is tinged brown again. The water is clear and the glass cleaned by the snails. Bob has reduced the balls by half in the 3 weeks they have been in there and has eaten quite a lot, would this make him poorly?

Attachments

• more stuff.jpg
    more stuff.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom