Is it columnaris or ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my female bettas broke out in irregular white spots all over her body. I immediately thought "ich!" and started raising the temp in my tank and added more salt. There's no real improvement today except she seems marginally brighter. When I watched the tank closely, I thought I saw another fish flash, so I decided it was definitely ich. Well, after researching fish diseases, it sounds and looks more like columnaris. In which case, upping the tank temp was about the worst thing I could do. My quarantine tank is currently occupied by 2 baby discus, one recovering from a skin lesion and secondary body fungus. They are being treated with broad-spectrum antibiotics and melafix, so would it be safe to add the female betta to the hospital tank? Or would melafix in the main tank knock out columnaris? From what I've read, I think it pretty much has to be handled by antibiotics. Sigh. First I have to become a chemist, now I'm learning stuff they never taught me in animal science...
Water parameters as of last night are the same as always:
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 20 (comes out of the tap that high)
pH 8.0
Tank temp is currently about 82 degrees and I did a 40% water change today.

Never mind. I'm pretty sure it's ich since I definitely saw one of the mollys flash several times in a few minutes. Here we go again....*sigh*

Ich is so much easier to treat successfully than columnaris, so count your blessings - Good luck and hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom