Is it normal for a goldfish's scales to fall off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuggetthefishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
PLEASE PLEASE HELP!
Recently, I saw a tiny white spot on the middle of his right side, under his scale. It soon disappeared, and I thought nothing of it. Yesterday, out of the blue, the white spot grew prominently in place of the scale. It looked like fungus, so I made plans to treat it today. When I came to check, it was gone, and so was his scale. Another scale closeby also seemed to be gone, and I don't know what's going on.
I have a fancy goldfish in a 10 gal tank, with normal filtration and aeration. I feed him twice a day. He's had dropsy, but the symptoms disappeared. He never had much problems swimming. I will provide pics in a bit.
Thank you!

For starters, him in a 10g may be stressing him out. He may be suffering from a growth stunt as well or he may have simply scraped it off. I've been following your other thread as well. I think he is having a growth stunt. I would get a minimum 30g tank asap not only because that's the minimum he is suppose to be in but because he may or may not be suffering a growth stunt.

I just observed him a bit, and he is quite lethargic. Every time he gets close to the currents from the filter, it kinda pushes him away. He's been gulping at the top, which is not usual.
Will he survive a week without the 30 gal? I'm not able to get it asap :( I'll provide pics in a few minutes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not very clear, but the darker spots are the missing scales. His right side is perfectly normal, so I have no idea what's going on.
Is he going to be okay?

Attachments

• 1393033238188.jpg
    1393033238188.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 1393033251176.jpg
    1393033251176.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 121
I tested 0 ppm of ammonia, and I don't know the parameters for nitrate and nitrite.

His left side is completely normal, my mistake. His right side is damaged.

I tested 0 ppm of ammonia, and I don't know the parameters for nitrate and nitrite.

Okay your tank water looks dirty so I would do a 50% minimum wc now and add conditioner (prime works the best) and I highly advise you to spend the 20$ on amazon or eBay and get the API master test kit now or goto you LFS or big box pet store and spend the 27-30$ for one now ASAP. It's very very tough to help without knowing your true parameters. Please do a major wc now. It's too murky and that's probably a major contributing factor in nuggets ailments

Okay, thank you so much. I'll get to it asap. Praying that Nugget will be okay soon. I'll update you soon. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom