Is it Swim Bladder disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Calico fantail lately has been sucking air after meals at the surface and struggles to swim to the bottom of the tank. Otherwise she eats well normal active behaviour.

I am unsure of feeding requirements now as all my goldies are over 1yr old now.

I have been feeding twice a day sinking pellets new era and Tetra premium food for fancies. I feed frozen blood worms occasionally and brimpshrimp live dafia as a treat veggies 3-4 times a week.

She seems to be OK after peas but I'm having to feed veg after every pellet feed.

Should I be lowering the feed to once a day now they are no longer juvenile.

Water stats ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrates 05-10. I tested y.day.

This calico is the female who gets the most breeding interest from the males, she gets chased a lot when spawning. No eggs yet this year. She had one lay last year.

Subtropical tank

119 gallons 465litres

Stock
2male black moors
1 female black moor
1,female Calico fantail
1female Ryukin
1female gold fantail

2variatus platys (same sex)
3 female wcm
2 Female danios
1male danio

I have 2external filters and 1internal filter , 1 airstone.

Any advice cause its seems to be getting worse.

I do weekly 50-70% water changes.

Yes I'm dedicated. Lol

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Advice on what to feed now ?

Pellets expand in water...not good for greedy carp with small tummies. Try regular goldfish flakes or soak pellets in water first. Starve for a day every now and then, their health will benefit from it.

I always have soaked my sinking pellets before feeding. I have reduced the amount I feed and this had helped also did one veg only day a week as well as upping general veg intake. So fingers crossed less of the floating up to surface.

Hi there

I have a calico female, too.

"Spotty" gets peas every night, and I find this really helps to stave off any problems.

The suggestion to soak pellets is a v good one - I'll try that myself.

Hope she does better v soon

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My calico has greatly improved since I've reduced amount of pellets I feed. I'm doing two feeds a day but a small amount. I've also upped to feeding veg daily where poss at least every other day anyway. She's showing no signs of issues now.

She's the fastest swimmer out of my 6 fancies so I soak food then try distract her a bit when I pour it in, so she doesn't guzzle so much of it down and get the biggest share.

Great strategy!

I have to do a bit of strategic feeding, too, as my Jasper-the-Hoover loves his food!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom