Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

is my betta sick or stressed??

Hi,
For the last 12 hours or so my betta gas been 'hiding' in a hollowed out piece of sceneray.

As he is usualy a active boy and enjoys a swim. Could he be sick or stressed??

Thanks,

Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What's the level of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? How big is the tank? Any other fish? How often do you change the water?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

all of the levels are fine, have checked and checked again.. his tank mates are two sword tails, four albino corys. Also a female betta..... i was warey on whether to add her. But the pet shop i went to assured me she was fine to add. Also they kept male in their female tank... could she be the problem??
Old 09-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank?

I'm not big on turning bettas into community fish. From what I've seen, heard and experienced, the majority of them just don't do well. YMMV.

Get the female out of there. You received REALLY bad advice on that one. Females should only be placed with males for spawning, then removed from the male's tank.

What are you exact readings?
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well thats bad then, the tank is 60 gallons. Which i thought would be more then big enough. I feel really bad now. They both have been getting on fine, almost to the point of ignoring each other. I have the readings at home written down. At work currently.

Would you recomend removing both bettas. Or would the male be fine to keep??
Old 09-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll get opinions on doing lots of things with the bettas. If they were my fish, I would get them both out of there into appropriate smaller tanks of their own. But that's just me.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok thanks for the advice. The female will come out asap. As for the male i will leave him for now. Thats a shame the bettas btighten up the tank. Think also i will write a letter to the pet shop. The people blaitently are trained in the field they are in.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I really doubt having a male and female in a 60g is bad but I'm no expert.. They prob never see each other if any thing leave the female in the big tank and move the male he's prob stressed cause of all the diff fish.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I suppose, it is a shame hes proper gorgeous. But im willing to try anything. The plan is to get some schoaling fish. For example neons some time in the future. So if he'll be happier on his own then so be it,
Old 09-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoisawatergod
I suppose, it is a shame hes proper gorgeous. But im willing to try anything. The plan is to get some schoaling fish. For example neons some time in the future. So if he'll be happier on his own then so be it,
I think he will be. Seeing how my 2 male bettas react to even their own reflections I wouldn't keep them in a community just with some cories or snails. But my female is so peaceful and happy in my community 70g. She never bothers a soul just minds her own business.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:13 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The male and female bettas should be absolutely fine with each.other. Male fighters don't like huge tanks so will hide away on occasions. I wouldnt take them out. As long as the ammonia etc levels are fine then just make sure he is eating and don't worry
Old 09-24-2011, 07:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok thats good. How come theres so many different views on the su ject??
Old 09-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok thats good. How come theres so many different views on the subject??
Old 09-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Different people and different experiences. Some people won't agree some will.
I go off my experiences from keeping fish for 13 years and previous working in the industry. But i can be wrong lol. Also different countries have different ways of doing stuff.

As for your betta keep eye on him an make sure he doesn't get any diseases an isn't being nipped by your swords- which i doubt

Tags
betta, ick, sick, stress

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com