Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2003, 07:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Is my black skirt tetra behaving normally?

I have two black skirt tetra in a new 10 gallons tank for a week now. Both fish are 1 inch or less. The two only ocassionally following each other swimming for the first few days. I find this weird since they are suppose to be school fish.

Now especially at feeding time, the bigger tetra chase the other one around but never bite it. The smaller one is beginning to spend more time hiding behind fake plant and become less active. The smaller one still comes to top to eat during feeding time.

The water ph is about 7.2. I just test the water today and shows no ammonia, nitrate. The tank shows no signs of new tank sydrome which is another weird thing.

Is the smaller one just scared or is it sick. Is the behavior unusual? I was going to add a fish in a week. But now I wonder if the fish is sick.

Thanks for the help

Old 08-03-2003, 09:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

The tank is only a week old and those fish are pretty small. You probably are going to need to wait another half a week before the cycle really gets going. you should do nothing just let it go. you may want to add aquarium salt in the mix it helps the gill function of the fish and kills ick. keep us updated.

Old 08-03-2003, 11:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't think the tetras will school unless you have a larger group, say five or six. Everything I've read about schooling fish says that they won't exhibit normal behavior if you keep them in small numbers.
Getting back into the hobby... restocking a 55 Gallon tank with peacock cichlids (currently housing 2 synodontis petricolas). Planning a complete overhaul of my 30 Gallon Oceanic Cube (currently housing a bristlenose pleco and a praecox rainbow).
Madame_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 08:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

ya madame_x is right you'll need more- it doesn't have to be the same species although that would definately help. You could go with a species that is the same size and shape. for example- ghost and serpae tetras will school. i will say that a school of one species definately looks better.

also make sure that there are enough hiding places. if fish don't have good hiding places they will hide in there only hiding place and never come out.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey kiki,

I have 3 in my 10g tank and they act the same way. They hide mostly when the light is on and are shy during feeding time. Once the light is turned off, they come out and play.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to HOLLIEO Send a message via Yahoo to HOLLIEO
kiki, I have the Black Skirted Tetras too. I love them! They don't usually hide and will always stick together, but IMO they need a few more friends. I would recommend having like 4 or 5 total, if your bio load can handle it (I am not sure if you have other tank mates). Good luck!!

Tags
black skirt tetra, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com