Is my fish diseased?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jodie_jo

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tetra is looking different from the other, this ones fins are coloured unlike the other one who's fins are transparent. I dont think it has always been this way, also, it is swimming approximately an inch away from the surface of the water.

Its fins are a burnt orange colour, not completely, just half of them.

I have noticed recently that my congo tetras have been chasing some of the fish, I have some melafix, will this help?

I have a 65ltr tank with other tetras, recent water change, levels are fine.

Thanks

Is your fish gasping for air at all, eating any differently? Exact numbers on your parameters will help. Answering these questions will help us help you.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

The fish is a head and tail tetra, its fins ahave changed colour, gone darker and a little frayed.

Levels are NO3 - 50mg/L
NO2 - 0
GH - >10d
KH - 3d
pH 6.8

I did a water change 3 days ago which i do every 5 weeks, including vaccuming the gravel.

The tank has been set up around 9months.

I have 6 neon tetras, 2 congo, 2 gouramis and 1 oto.(and the two head and tail ones)

i have had these fish approximately 3 months

i added a "tea bag" like thing to help with NO3 levels, no other fish are affected

i feed my fish nutrafin max flakes twice a day and bloodworm twice a week replacing the flakes.

think thats everything...?

any tips on getting no3 levels down?

forgot pic...

Attachments

• dsc03294_353.jpg
    dsc03294_353.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 33
Did you test for ammonia? I would do a 50% pwc and see if that helps them at all. Melafix won't help with aggression at all. Only with the treatment of any injuries the fish may have sustained. Add some hiding spots if you don't have any to help the fish feel secure with places to hide.

It might be stress causing the color change and the fins being frayed could be from being nipped at. Adding some melafix to the tank will not hurt.

Back
Top Bottom