Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2021, 02:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Is my new blood parrot behaving normally?

Hi guys! I just got a blood parrot cichlid yesterday and I'm quarantining him for two weeks before I put him in the main tank. The quarantine tank is completely cycled and safe I made absolutely sure and the fish didn't show any obvious health issues or injuries at the store that I noticed though he was very shy and kept ducking back into his hide. I have two old flowerpots in the tank as well as another decoration he can swim into if he wants. Last night he was acting skittish but okay and he was hiding in one of the flowerpots this morning and then came out briefly a few hours ago and seemed to swim normally. Now he's hiding again in the flowerpot and oddly enough he seems to be resting on his side against the roof of the pot. I looked it up a minute ago and according to some people that isn't particularly unusual for blood parrots. He does seem to be breathing somewhat quickly but to me at least they all look like they're doing that. I'm not sure. What do you guys think? Is there a problem or is he just recovering from the stress of moving in? I also dropped a thawed frozen pea in there as a little treat to make him more comfortable and he hasn't eaten it yet though I don't expect him to be too interested in food right now and I'm going to try feeding him his actual food tomorrow. Hopefully he makes it.

Old 03-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If youíve tested water parameters and are 100% confident there is no ammonia
or nitrite then I would turn down the lights and let him settle. Could have been injured during netting or something

Old 03-08-2021, 01:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertybelle View Post
If youíve tested water parameters and are 100% confident there is no ammonia
or nitrite then I would turn down the lights and let him settle. Could have been injured during netting or something
Thanks Libertybelle! The water quality is perfectly fine and as it turns out he's just incredibly shy and was just scared for a few days. Now I've gotten him to eat and he's met some other fish and is showing signs of curiosity and sociability.

Tags
blood, parrot, rot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com