is my oto sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loubeardy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have quaretine one of my otos. he appeared fatter than my other oto and under a light I saw red on his head. he seems to have more 'weight'/ bloat on one side. is he ill? how long should he be left in quarantine for?

tia

sorey the photos are bad... he kept swimming away from my flash... but its the flash that do shows up the redness.

Red looks around gills hard to tell. No substrate? No real plants? Odd it bloated on one side.

Red looks around gills hard to tell. No substrate? No real plants? Odd it bloated on one side.
thays the quaretine tank... I was told substrate isn't a good idea for a quaretine. and I don't have any plants unless I dig up one from my main tank

Could be dropsy. Any pine coning ? Parasites, tumor, swim bladder. I don't know.

Sometimes yes. Ottos are not the most durable. I got nothing to add

I cant say for sure what it is so I cant make a recommendation.

I dont medicate fish. There are general cure products you can try. If hes eating well you can try a blanced pea that helps with bloating issues.

I dont medicate fish. There are general cure products you can try. If hes eating well you can try a blanced pea that helps with bloating issues.
i dont like the idea of adding chemical to my tank either... just water conditioner for water changes. awesome..I'll try that :) thank you.

Otos are mainly procured from the wild, they're poisoned and collected with nets. They usually die in your tank. When they make it a month they're doing well. Theyre scale less fish so you won't see pineconing. You basically buy twice as many as you'd like to have..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Otos are mainly procured from the wild, they're poisoned and collected with nets. They usually die in your tank. When they make it a month they're doing well. Theyre scale less fish so you won't see pineconing. You basically buy twice as many as you'd like to have..

thays really sad :( I had no idea. if these guys make it (have now moved both on to quarantine just in case.... don't want my betta getting sick) I don't think I'll buy any more :/

Quarantine is useless.with otos. They feed on biofilm. They will not take prepared foods (at first, after a year they eat everything). They need a mature tank. Basically if you want otos?buy them and dump them in their tank. Unless you have the best qt for otos ever??

Quarantine is useless.with otos. They feed on biofilm. They will not take prepared foods (at first, after a year they eat everything). They need a mature tank. Basically if you want otos?buy them and dump them in their tank. Unless you have the best qt for otos ever??

I put them in quaretine incase they were ill and we're going to make my betta ill. although my dad has a tank... unused but second hand from me with algae on it. maybe that'll be the ideal quaretine tank. I've pretty much done everything wrong with these guys :(

Back
Top Bottom