Is staying at the bottom a symptom ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teleost

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am new to this forum.

My fish used swim around in most of the tank. Now they mainly stay at the bottom. Is that a symptom ?

I have recently added more plants, and swithed to LED lighting.
I have tried changing the light intensity and flow in the tank.

I have Neon Tetra and Rasbora Trilineata.

Thank you,

How new is the tank? Have you tested for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates? What is your water change schedule & how much do you change? How long have you had the fish?

Yes, it is generally a symptom. Ich is an example of a sickness where fish will sit on the bottom.

But there are exceptions. If the fish is new it could be stressed and getting used to it's environment, for example.

As stated before, water parameters, time in tank, etc.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I try to change every 14 days, but sometimes less frequent. NO2-3 are zero now, but they sometimes rise a bit. It is about a year old, with an external EHIM filter.

The water is very hard, around 20dH.

As you may be able to see in the picture, they are always at the bottom, in the rigt side. With their noses toward the filter outflow.

OK, thanks.

It could be stress. When I originally placed the tank, I was told not to put it in the sun. Unfortunately I was not aware that placing it close to a door we pass frequently, could be a bad idea ?

OK, thanks.

It could be stress. When I originally placed the tank, I was told not to put it in the sun. Unfortunately I was not aware that placing it close to a door we pass frequently, could be a bad idea ?

if the doorknob hits the tank, it could explode. swimming on the bottom is also a sign for swim bladder disorder. have you tried fasting? its also a symptom for many other diseases

No danger of explosion.

The fish have been at the bottom for s few months.

But I just came home from a vacation, and one Neon was sick, and one Trilineata is showing symptoms of swim bladder disease. It is sligtly tilted and panting more than the rest. Not sure it is related.

But would it be worth trying not to feed them a few days ?

[It is not exactly a Trilineata, but it is related. It has thin yellow and black finns]

OK, Thanks,

I will do some water changes.

How long should I starve them, roughly ?

OK, Thanks,

I will do some water changes.

How long should I starve them, roughly ?

try fasting for a day then giving them peas again. if they still wont eat the peas, do one more day and try giving them peas again. if this does not work, it is something else and the best way to treat most diseases is daily water changes.

Have you tested ammonia nitries and nitrates? Sounds alot like my tank. High nitrates will cause swim bladder problems and fish sitting on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom