Is there something wrong with my cardinal tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grattu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Gtpss8s.jpg

Is this ich? Its all in one place around its top fin, also there's a red band running around its tail :( I've only had the tank a week

IDK but definately get rid of him and treat for parasites (ICK) asap, don't want to get Neon tetra disease in your tanks it will kill them all. Up the heat to 86 and use rid ich plus and aquarium salt asap too.

I can't tell you what that is but I can tell you it is not

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

That is not ick

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

When my tetras had ick it didn't look like that. It was multiple white spots and it was a gradual accumulation over several weeks. Looks fungal to me maybe. You said this happened in a week? At the very least I'd do a large water change. Do you have a qt tank? Water parameters? Tank mates? Was the tank cycled properly? Needing some more info here to help you better.

Hi thanks for the replies, unfortunately the tetra died, I checked the water temperature and it was around 70 degrees, when I checked two days earlier it was around 80, I don't know how the temperature could have dropped so much in such a short time.
I took it to my LFS and spoke with the owner, he told me it was some kind of fungal infection. I increased the temperature, did a 50% water, and started adding Nutrafin Cycle and the rest of my fish are happy and swimming around now :)

Did you cycle the tank before you added the fish? You said you only had the tank for a week. If not cycled, your other fish are prone to having adverse reactions.

I was doing a fish in cycle, went back to the store today and had a water test done, he said my water tested out perfect. 6.8 pH, no ammonia, no nitrite, no nitrate

Yeah, you probably aren't cycled in only one week. Takes at least 3-4 without media from an established tank (which is my favorite way to cycle, much faster). I lost a few tetras too that way. They are just sensitive. If you did daily 50% water changes while it completes its cycle, your fish will be less stressed and more likely to survive. API fresh water master kit is the best bet. Trusting your lfs results can be unreliable, plus I always ended up testing sometimes multiple times a day during that process. Saves money ;-)

Back
Top Bottom