Is this a bruise, an infection, or color change for betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandurs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So literally a week ago, my fish arrived from over seas. Due to a horrid mix up with the shop I purchased them from, I can't reverse without facing fees and other drama, and so I kept the fish.

Not that I mind, she's a delight. The down side is that I have no idea what her coloring is meant to look like, and now she has a grey/black mark on her head/around her eye.

I can't tell if its a bruise from her knocking her head against the net when I moved her into her new home, or on decorations; or if it is an infection of some kind. She still eats. She's active. She's also had this for a couple days, so I ruled out graphite disease... for now at least.

To be safe, I have started adding some bettafix and seachem stability. I'm holding off on the aquarium salt but I do have it handy.

Here are pictures of her before when I just got her, and today. Unfortunately, she gets so excited its hard to get a clear picture of her when she's having zoomies.

Attachments

• 20200302_114738.jpg
    20200302_114738.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 337
  • 20200304_115616.jpg
    20200304_115616.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20200304_115606.jpg
    20200304_115606.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 20200304_115543.jpg
    20200304_115543.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 48
It could just be her colouring. See how it looks in about a week. An infection (ie: bacteria or fungal) is usually white.

It could just be her colouring. See how it looks in about a week. An infection (ie: bacteria or fungal) is usually white.

That's what I mostly found in my frantic searching online too. Aside from the graphite disease that is, but that was shiny and metallicin appearance and each case seemed to start at the tail fin and grow from there. Everything I came across also listed abnormal behavior too, which she's not exhibiting.

If its not her colouring, it could be ammonia burn. A year ago, my goldfish had similar scarring between the eyes which went away over time after managing the ammonia levels.

If its not her colouring, it could be ammonia burn. A year ago, my goldfish had similar scarring between the eyes which went away over time after managing the ammonia levels.

Thank you for this. I'm doing a water change today, so I'll be monitoring the levels to the best of my ability and accuracy that my test strips give... I just now signed up with chewy and ordered the actual kit.

Ok, so I picked up some AmGuard and tested her ammonia levels, which by no surprise, it was a little high. I did a 25% water change, added the AmGuard, rinsed out the filter (Marineland carbon) and added more bettafix, and I also bought some marimo moss balls in hopes that will also help with filtration.

I had to leave for work, and when I came back her black mark has grown, yet her behavior is still unaffected.

If this is indeed a burn, how long typically is the healing process? And what should I really be adding to her water? Also could me using bottled spring water have something to do with it? Will using distilled water help at all?

In case of ammonia burns, the black mark/scar(s) is a sign of healing. Moreover, you said her behavior is unaffected (assuming she is active and feeding well). The scar on my goldfish took about 2 weeks to go away completely (the scar reduced in size rather than fade away). I'd advise not changing the type of water, but keeping the ammonia levels in check, with water changes if necessary.

After watching her for the past few days, and changing my frantic searching topic from potential diseases to how lighter bettas change to a darker color, I've come to the conclusion that she is perfectly fine and the black that is spreading is just a very dramatic color change.

ESnc-17XgAEJzz_.jpeg

She's also getting much bigger, and her zoomies have calmed considerably. I want to thank you for all your help. This thread can be locked.

She is a galaxy koi (has koi coloring with shiny blue scales scattered in). The ‘koi’ coloration in bettas come from marble lines. The marble coloration causes the coloration to change over time especially in younger fish.
Her color change looks like normal koi ‘marbling’ ;).

Back
Top Bottom