Is this apple snail dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Asbestos

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well he has not moved in 2 days now and the trapdoor part is actually inside the shell now. I don't know how to properly describe it. But my pleco keeps going at it for like hours now so i am thinking its dead. should i take it out or give it another day, also is there a way i can keep the shell some how? i think it would be really cool in the tank.

If the trapdoor is loose, then the snail is likely dead. However, the snail might be pulling the trapdoor in deeply if hibernating, so it could be within the shell. As long as the hinge is still attached, that can be normal. <And apple snails can hibernate for a few weeks.>

I would take the snail out & smell it, if it smells bad, it is dead. You can also gently push on the trapdoor & see if it is loose (off its hinge). Snail is mostly water, so if you want to keep the shell, just wait till the inside rots (a few days) & rinse it out well. The shell will slowly dissolve in water, but it is a neat decor while it lasts.

I would take the snail out & smell it, if it smells bad, it is dead.

that is the easiest way... granted they dont smell like roses when they are alive, but you will definately know if it is dead by the smell. That is the way to tell if just about anything in an aquarium is dead if you cant tell by other means (ie rotting, floating upside down, etc)

Just be careful when smelling it, don't put it right to your nose and take a big whiff. Gradually ease it to your nose. You will def know if it is dead, unless of course it just died.

I found a half eaten snail today so he is dead :( I think my pleco kept knocking him over and he drowned.

I found a half eaten snail today so he is dead :( I think my pleco kept knocking him over and he drowned.

Apple snails have both lung & gills. They can't drown even if kept totally under water. <Might have starved to death if he is constantly harassed so he can't come out of the shell to eat.>

Back
Top Bottom