Is this columnaris?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylefight11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my bloodfin tetras has a pimple or hornlike growth on his lower lip. I have seen cases of it before, (it destroyed my tank over the summer) but this would be presenting in an unusual way. Normally deterioration of the jaw appears on the same day that the white growth does, along with lethargy, refusal or inability to eat, and separation of the school. This fish shows no other symptoms other than the growth, he is eating fine and schooling with the other tetras.

The water parameters are
Ph 8.2
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15
Gh 0
Kh 13

I currently am adding non iodized table salt to the water currently at 11 tbsp for the 36 gallon tank. My research says this is fine for the fish (and their behavior seems to back this up, even the corys), but columnaris hates it. I only plan on leaving the salt in until all fish have been symptom free for at least a week.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Not columnaris but could be an infected wound. Keep up the PWCs should be fine, if not, drop the fish in some dark methylene Blue for a few hours

The 'pimple' on the mouth may not be columnaris but the symptoms off the other fish you listed certainly is IMO.
Did you treat the tank over the summer for your issues?
Are any of the fish you have now left over from summer issues?

pimple could be lymphocystis ?
Lympho is not usually deadly or contagious, and not IMO what happened before from your report.

(y) Salt is first step to columnaris cure so no harm IMO(y)

The outbreak killed every one of my fish. The tank was then broken down and sterilized. These fish have only been in for about a week. I bought the fish from the same place as last time and even though all the fish in the tank looked healthy the next day one of the fish was showing classic symptoms. I immediately netted him out and returned him to the store. I guess I'm just paranoid now. So should I replace the lost salt when I do my weekly water change later today? Or should I keep it in?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If the pimple is the only symptom then I would not replace salt .
Let it be removed while you make water changes.
Lympho is a virus that has no cure(like a cold for us),so the salt will do little if anything in this case IMO.
On being paranoid 90% of treating ANY disease easily is quick recognition.
It is good you watch fish closely and notice differences.(y)

Back
Top Bottom