Is this Dropsy? ((PICS))

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmathis

Aquarium Advice Regular
It seems like one of my clown loaches has doubled in size over the last several days. It's eyes are kind of bulged and it is pale in color. Is this dropsy?

75 Gallon Tank
PH 7
KH 4
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 30ppm

img_949675_0_60b9e3d0bbf8201a6a57655dd64e1788.jpg

img_949675_1_635f3a2e38dcd185ba220e7be5b5e531.jpg

img_949675_2_c72ad5096022daf82e5bd46fe52f54f4.jpg

Although I have never seen dropsy in a clown loach, I would suspect it is. Because they are scaleless, there are no scales to protrude. Any nitrite in the tank? Is he still eating as far as you know?

For starters I would try feeding him a frozen pea. Nuke the pea for a few seconds and then skin, make into bite size portions. Do you have a tank you can put him in for QT? Try adding some epsom salt which will help with bloating if it is water buildup. Epsom salt will not harm scaleless fish.

Thanks, I'm on my way to get some peas now.

How much epsom salt should I add to a gallon of water?

Thanks Again!

I would start out with 1/8 of a teaspoon to one gallon. Watch the fish closely. Make sure the QT tank has the same temp and chemistry as the main tank.

I have kept Clowns and many other Loaches and Botia for many years....I have never seen one swell like that....BTW, Loaches have very tiny scales....I am willing to bet that the fish is bloated on fluid possibly from "dropsy".....Please keep us up dated on this.....

Thanks everyone!

He died before I had the change to even start treating him. I have been doing weekly 25% water changes. And will start doing larger ones gradually. None of the other fish are showing any signs yet, and I will watch like a hawk.

Thanks again!

I am so sorry for your loss. He was very bloated and I'm not sure you could have done much more for him.

i had a fish go to dropsy (or what i thought was dropsy). so sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom