Is this fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsaraber

Aquarium Advice Activist
Maybe someone can shed some light on this for me... Is this fungus?
http://openprojects.rarcoa.com/~tracy/dudley.jpg

It started out as a small white patch in the middle of his tail and now it's starting to move up onto his body. Sometimes the darker patch in the middle will sort of flake but it doesn't look very cottony to me. The white patch goes thru to the other side of his tail as well.

Any ideas?

I'm guessing finrot. You could try a course of bettamax (nitrofurazone and methylene blue).

BTW, nice clear picture - what camera are you using?

Thanks for the speedy reply Qtoffer!
Finrot crossed my mind but isn't that black and usually along the edges of the fins? Guess I better go do some more reading on finrot...

The camera I used is a Sony Cybershot (DSC F828 I think, 8MP). I took 5 pictures to get that nice clear shot and had to prop the camera up on the back of a chair so it wouldn't shake when I pressed the button. lol Great camera though, I really enjoy it!

Fin rot is not necessarily going to be black, and in fact I don't know that I have ever seen it as black in color personally. It is just decaying fins that usually just lose color of any kind and sortof rot away. I don't think it is fungus and agree with QTOFFER.

Thanks TG!

Started Duds on meds this morning for finrot. Didn't have any Bettamax but I had tetracycline which from my reading last night seems to be one of the recommended courses of treatment so I'll give that a try.

Sounds like some scary stuff. Read bits about people cutting off the rotten fins and that it can be very hard to cure. :(

Good luck with your betta! Often fish will come down with finrot when water quality is not what it could be, or the fish is stressed, so look into some possible causes.

That is definitely finrot. I would becareful, because it could take over his whole body quickly.

This was my betta that I rescued from Petco on a Saturday afternoon, and by Sunday night this is what it looked like. Apparently he had it before I got him and never noticed it.

img_277932_0_eeabfa3e0993fb7546caa2c65fa997b4.jpg

Unfortunately, it had taken over too much of his body before I had a chance to treat him. I ended up making the choice of euthanizing him. He was unable to swim and was suffering too much. :cry:

That's probably the best choice, Fawn - sorry to hear about it, but going by the picture I was very interested if he could have been saved. I have gotten so I can't even look at bettas at the big box stores anymore, Walmart stacks them like a pyramid so the ones on the bottom don't even get looked at. :(

Wow Fawn, I'm so sorry to hear about your betta... Poor little guy. Thank you for your insite though.

I think the biggest reason I wasn't sold on the finrot idea was because other than the big white splotch in the middle of his tail the rest of his fins were just fine. Nothing was looking frayed or short.

We had a couple of really nasty temperature swings due to a faulty heater so I'm thinking that was the problem.

I do have another question about meds. The stuff I have him on now says to give it to him daily for 5 days. I was always curious, do I do water changes everyday before giving him his next dose or do I just wait until the full 5 day treatment is over and then do a water change?

Depends on the medication - some instruct you not to do a water change until the end of treatment, and others you do a water change just prior to each dose.

Time for an update on the fin (tail?) rot...

It's getting worse and worse and nothing I'm doing seems to be helping it. I've had him on tetracycline for an entire course, he's been through two courses of Jungle Fungus Eliminator and now I've got him on Kanacyn (midway thru the cycle)... Water changes between all the meds of course.

It's so far not affecting any of his fins but his tail but it is creeping up the back of his body and I'm at a loss as to what else to do. He's such a happy little guy otherwise but I'm worried the rot is going to eventually make it to the other fins if I can't find something to stop it.

Any ideas?

I'd PM An t-iasg about it - she knows a lot about treating bettas with meds, and she was out of town recently and may have missed this thread when you started it.

Good luck!

Thanks TandGirl - I just sent her a letter.. Hopefully she'll have some good news for me.

Hi Tracy,
I was out of town (with no internet access 8O ) when you started this thread, and there was no "betta" in the title to catch my eye! :wink: Bettas, when stressed, tend to get finrot. The faulty heater was probably the cause. Bettas are most definitely stressed over fluctuating or cool temps. I have a spare heater just in case one of mine breaks.

Jungle Fungus Eliminator always worked wonders for me. Don't be afraid to give a second course of treatment if necessary, with the Kanacyn or the Fungus Eliminator. Even though finrot is usually bacterial, the Fungus Eliminator has an antibiotic in it too.

Kanacyn worked well for me too. I have always had good results with BettaMax, or if the finrot is more advanced, Kanacyn or Jungle Fungus Eliminator. So, if you're using Kanacyn now, it says to give a treatment every other day, for 3 treatments in 5 days. After 3 more days, you can repeat the full course of treatment. I would do a water change every other day too, before you give that dose for the day. Example -- on Monday, dose 1. On Wednesday, water change and then dose 2. I think the for this med,you're supposed to go the full 5 days with no water change. But since your betta hasn't gotten better, I think water changes will be beneficial. I would also, since you're taking out some meds with your water change, to add just a bit more back in with your dose. I know this seems drastic, but if he's had a few meds that haven't helped, then this may do the trick.

If you do decide to use Fungus Eliminator again, it says to do water change and a new dose on day 4 (I think -- I don't have that one in front of me.) I would do a water change on day 2 with a half dose of the med added back in. On day 4, I would do whatever water change they suggest (25%, I think) and add another full dose. On day 6, another half dose if necessary.

Bettas may not look good for awhile when they get finrot, but if you look closely you should be able to tell if it's healing. I call it a "healing edge" to the fin. It looks like a whitish piece of "skin" growing along the frayed edges, to begin to bind them together. The color of the fin may take awhile to come back to the way it used to be, and the length will take a few months, unfortunately, but it should be healed, or beginning to heal, in a week or so.

Some bettas are more prone to finrot than others, but if you keep the "stress level" down, he should be fine. The factors that stress a betta the most are cool or fluctuating temps, current or fast water movement, and bright light. Make sure the temperature isn't fluctuating now, check to see if the water is moving too fast for him, and keep the lights dimmed during treatment. I put a towel over about half of the tank if I need to treat. The towel covers half the top and goes a little down the sides of the tank to make a dim area for him.

Just a few more thoughts: Sometimes my bettas only got finrot on one fin.
One of my previous betta's dorsal fin rotted completely off, but all the other fins were fine. Also, make sure any carbon is removed from your filter during treatment. The carbon will just absorb the med and the betta won't get the correct treatment. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your advice Deb...

Today he's on his last dose of Kanacyn. I can't see any difference in his tail which could be good, at least it doesn't seem to be spreading. I don't see it healing though either - there is a dark patch in the middle of the white area that doesn't look good to me.

I have turned off his filter for now - it does give out quite a bit of flow, I figure he'll be ok without it for awhile and when he's better we can see about finding a way to slow down the flow. I've also found out that the light in the tank causes a two degree change in temperature over the course of the day so I've hiked the top up to about 6 inches away from the surface of the tank so he still get's light (not as much of course) but the light can't heat up his water.

We'll see how this works. I'm almost out of kanacyn so I guess if he needs more meds after this he's back to the jungle fungus stuff.. I'll do the water changes like you suggested.

Thanks again!

You're welcome...I hope things turn around for your betta soon!

It's good that you figured out the light was heating the water! Now your light is probably at the right intensity for a betta and it won't heat the water up. My flourescent strip light is about 5 inches above the tanks. What kind of filter do you have? If it's run by an air pump, you can get a gang valve to regulate the airflow. Do a search on "gang valve" on any of the aquarium supply websites to see what they are. Get one with one or two more ports than you need, so the extra port can be opened to let excess air out. I have a 3-port gang valve. It's hooked up to two sponge filters and the extra port is open. I adjusted all three valves so that the water movement is minimal. If I look up through the tank, the top of the water ripples but isn't moving fast.

I just added some pics of my gang valve and air pump to my gallery. Hopefully they'll be up soon, and you can see what I did. You can add a gang valve to your airpump even if the pump just runs the filter in one tank.

No air pump I'm afraid.. It's one of those eclipse tanks with the hood filter and biowheel. I'm thinking maybe we could put a sponge or something around the intake to slow it down - guess I'll have to look into that so I don't end up blowing up the filter.... lol

I didn't think the flow was too bad.. He only seems to have trouble when he's trying to swim directly into the stream coming out of it. The rest of the time he seems fine.

I'm still going to check out your pics though - never know when that will come in handy. Thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom